1998 K1500 5.7 starts then immediately dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
1998 chevy 2500 here. 140.000 original miles. Good condition. I know, i bought a peach. For once!

I am sitting on the roadside with the start/die problem. I just did the key reset, turn on for 30. Off, on 30, off, on 30. Started on the second try. I'm afraid to shut it off since I'm 50 miles from home.

Background. We just got past a rare 10 day snow ind ice freeze. Now we have potholes so bad they are closing bridges. I mean holes all the way through some like hit with a bomb. I have hit a few, had to replace a tire last week. After hitting a big one my security warning light came on, but the truck ran fine until I shut it off, then the start/die problem. It's been idling fine as I wrote this. The security light went off after driving a few miles.

Questions. Likely to restart? What do I replace? Is the reflash the best/only way? If I shut off and the problem returns, should I just do it again? How long does this key reset usually work? I need to wait until next payday. March, to spend the 300 to get a reflash, and drive it until then if possible.

I know I'm asking hypotheticals. But sitting roadside that's what you do. Yall have already got me running again for now! Thanks!
The Passlock computer circuit board has a bunch of soldered connections, and these come loose after 20-25 years...just like the radios, wiper motors, etc. I have heard of people re soldering the boards in the Passlock box, but it was another one of those things, that I wasn't 100% sure would work. So I bit the bullet and had the Passlock electronically deleted from the PCM. $250 well spent....

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
had to deal with this on a 2000 firebird back in 2012 it had the pellet resistor in/on the key used this video or one like it to fix it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media