Truck Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a 1995 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne with the 305.

I lurk and read through most of the stuff and figured it was about time to get on here. I also have an issue though.
My truck usually runs excellent. It starts fine and all that. Well about a month ago, I was at a gas station and went to start up the truck and nothing happened when I turned the key. I tried a couple of times. Nothing. All the lights were working etc. But other then that, dead silence. After a couple thoughts of panic I tried again and it just started fine.

I forgot about it and just kept on keeping on. Then yesterday it happened again. Same as before except this time, it didn't start up. I popped the hood as I looked at the battery gauge and it as just above the 9v mark. I hooked up a friends car to try and jump it and the battery went back up but still nothing when I turned the key. I could here a faint click under the hood. It didn't sound like the free spinning of the starter. Just a faint click. I replaced the starter and solenoid maybe a year ago. I tapped a couple of things around the alternator and the click got a bit louder and then it just started up. I think maybe the tapping might have been a coincidence. Any ideas?!

Sorry for the long post!

Matt

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Make sure all your connections are tight at the starter, alternator, and battery. It sounds like the starter is getting enough juice for the bendix to kick the gear out but not enough power to turn the flywheel

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the basics I would disconect the battery and chrage it and make sure the teminals are good clean and tight

Reaction score
My Yukon had similar issues. It all was related to a loose ground at the battery. Everytime I had a no start I would tighten the negative battery terminal and hot damn if it didn't start right up. I changed the battery screws to actual bolts and I didn't have any problems after that. Hope this helps.

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will check. I appreciate the responses. I will check them out and see if I notice anything.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
9 times out of 10 the grimlin in your situation is a bad connection in my experience, whether it be a boat, truck or bike

mjleg

Ya...I Like Trucks
Reaction score
++++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++++++++

Well, it happened again today. I was at an outdoor store. Went out all excited with some new stuff. That faded quickly.
I went to start the truck and nothing again. I pop the hood start wiggling ground connections. I did the main two (engine and body from the battery). The body connection was dirty, so I had some electrical connection cleaner and sand paper so I made sure it was nice and clean. I tried, nothing. I checked the engine ground. Looked good.

So I take off my nice shirt and put on a junker that was on the back seat. Climbed under the truck and checked the starter. All connections nice and tight. Couldn't wiggle them, and looked clean. I turned the key to the on positon and tried to jump the power post and the negative post on the starter. Nothing. I took off my trailer hitch, climbed back under, gave the starter a smack. Tried the key and presto.

Moral of the story I need a new starter. Do you guys think I need the whole starter or just the solenoid?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a solenoid problem. I have a personal hatred for starters. If it were me, I'd replace the whole assembly. I think you'll be ok with simply replacing the solenoid.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah if all your connections are good its more than likley the solenoid on the starter. had the same problem on my 92.