Truck runs like crap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mockspeed88

Reaction score
So my truck idles low, especially in gear. Sometimes stalls. Smells rich. I replaced temp sensor, egr. All vacuum lines. New fuel pump. Has new wires and cap. Will be putting in new rotor and pickup coil. Any ideas? Headers are leaking ticking alot. I have new felpro 1404 with arp bolts to go in. Can a leak make it run that bad?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

mockspeed88

Reaction score
No I haven't replaced the distributor yet. I have a new cap and rotors plus pickup module to go in. Haven't test fuel pressure. But I did just replace the fuel pump.

Dylan Burow

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That might fix it (Could not) as long as it’s an OEM or good quality ignition part I cheap-ed out on some awhile ago and as soon as I came around a second time replacing ignition parts I found a rebuilt disturb in my price range and it fixed it like new.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is this truck? Looks like a TBI v8. Do you have any engine codes?
Exhaust leaks can confuse the o2 sensors and cause problems like this.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, verify fuel pressure.

Connect a scan tool, look at IAC, O2 sensor, MAP, coolant temp sensor, and all other sensors / outputs.

"Smells rich"? Likely means your catalyst is cooked from misfire.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As said, verify fuel pressure.

Connect a scan tool, look at IAC, O2 sensor, MAP, coolant temp sensor, and all other sensors / outputs

Can OB1 even give you that info without a specific scanner?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can OB1 even give you that info without a specific scanner?
I hear that a lot. Define "specific scanner". Folks can't believe that '95--older vehicles have a data stream because the cheap-junk "consumer-grade" code-readers and scan tools only do OBD-II.

I used a Snap-On MT / MTG 2500 for twenty-something years. Now using a Snap-On Solus Pro. There's lots of competitors to those products--OTC had the Monitor series, and later the Genysis, then Pegysis, and I don't know what they're selling now. And there's heaps of consumer-grade stuff coming in from China.

Sensor data is available on the data stream going back to some 80 1/2 model cars. You need the proper connector to fit the vehicle, and a tool with the appropriate software. In general, the older the vehicle, the slower the computer and the less info and interaction is available. But sensor data is there.

Here's what's available on my '88 K1500 through the old '2500 scan tool: (Keep in mind that the 2500 is based on a tool designed and first sold in the mid-1980s. The software got updated until Snappy quit supporting the '2500 series in 2009.)
Posts 14 and 15, but the back-story is kinda humorous.

www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

One of these days, I should do a similar show-and-tell with the Solus Pro, and post it on this web-site, so I don't have to link off-site when this comes up again.

Last edited: