Truck cranks but doesnt start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obsguy124

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm having some issues with my 1998 chevy silverado, one day I was just driving and it was running just fine but as I was coming off of a stop sign the engine immediately stopped and it was weird because all lights were still on and not even the check engine light came on. The engine cranks and its like it wants to start and I've tried using starter fluids but the engine would just backfire upon cranking. The computer did not give off any codes which is the weird part.

Here's what I've done so far to narrow the problem down:
Checked fuel pressure (holds around 50-54)
Checked the timing on the distributor (timing is good)
Checked to see if I was getting spark (good)

What i'm thinking it could be are the injectors, a bad ECM since no codes are being given, or crank position sensor needs replacement.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm really stuck here and I could really use some help so any advice would be appreciated!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes but how to test it I'm not sure of. Just to give you my thought. On mine I was replacing parts as preventative maintenance. I replaced the ignition coil and ignition control module. Month later truck acted like it wanted to start but never started til like 3 cycles of on and off. Difference is my check engine turned of and pulled a code. After resetting and having to code come back on 2 different times I replaced it back to the original parts and been fine since. For the module its ohms to test I believe and for the ignition coil I believe it's long as its sparking. Also check you cap and rotor...

obsguy124

Reaction score
Im sure even if the coil was bad the truck would atleast start with rough idle though wouldnt it? I opened the distributor as well and everything looks good I even pulled it out to check the timing and its fine (I did mark it before taking it out so I dont lose timing). Anyway ill find a way to test the coil when I get home ill keep you updated.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are your injectors the spider original style or new MPFI style?