Trashed my 4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

A cam swap makes a world of difference in this engine, comp cams makes several upgrades for these (as does Lunati, but I have not used them). The factory cams in these made them quite weak, typically mated up with 3.08:1 gearing made for a less than desirable driving experience. Bumping up the cam a notch improves low end and gas milage without having to re-tune the computer, going to the next step really wakes this engine up but requires the ecm to be re- tuned. If, like me, you have the dreaded 3.08 gears, changing up the gearing in the back makes a world of difference (I went with 3.73)

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I don't see how everyone has a f**ked block after overheating once. I've overheated my '98 K3500 5.7, '98 C1500 4.3, and '02 Impala 3.8 multiple times each and they still run fine after I replace the bad cooling system parts. No misfire, no white smoke, no power loss, etc.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some stuff up my sleeve for when I rebuild. This motor is going to get a few performance upgrades (can, headers, air cleaner, rockers, thinner head gasket to bump compression a bit, some VERY mild port work and true duals) and will last me at least until I get the other one tore down and the block and heads checked over, then it’ll be machine work and some parts that originally came on a Cyclone/Thphoon and a little of my own magic.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see how everyone has a f**ked block after overheating once. I've overheated my '98 K3500 5.7, '98 C1500 4.3, and '02 Impala 3.8 multiple times each and they still run fine after I replace the bad cooling system parts. No misfire, no white smoke, no power loss, etc.
Mine blew white smoke and is knocking now...

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Don’t know. Hence why I grabbed a good deal on another motor. I will also add I was doing 75 up a semi longish grade when it overheated. I live an hour away from the nearest semi-major city (Amarillo) and had to try and limp it home, hence the second overheat.

Hey man, there's nothing semi-major about it. Amarillo is a major stop for me when I drove from home (East Texas) to where I live now (Aspen, Colorado). I love that city. If you're an hour away, what town do you live in?

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man, there's nothing semi-major about it. Amarillo is a major stop for me when I drove from home (East Texas) to where I live now (Aspen, Colorado). I love that city. If you're an hour away, what town do you live in?
Amarillo is a major stop for anyone traveling that area. It’s the only city out there that’s why everything is there LOL. Stop there myself on the way to see my In-laws in NM. from Oklahoma. Don’t let anyone talk you out of your 4.3 motor if that’s what you want to run. I had one in a’94 S-10 Blazer that I bought brand new. I had 315,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still sealed up tight, didn’t leak or burn a drop of oil. Back to your original question. I think it would be great to do a tear down on that motor so we could see where all those fluids went.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumas. Not exactly an hour north but it regularly takes that ling