Trashed my 4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had to get new tires on my 88 4.3 yesterday and coming home I overheated the motor. Had a full cooling system and was full of oil when I left. When I overheated I checked the oil and none present. Dumped 3 gallons of 50/50 in it, pulled the thermostat on the side of the road, and filled it up with oil and limped home. End of story motor is trashed. Picked a good used one up today. I’ll be tearing down the old motor here once I get out and the new one in and running, but it’ll be getting all new sensors and a new set of plugs and wires and a good general tune up before it goes in. Does anybody want to see that whole process as I’m going to do it while it’s out and everything is easy to get to? Also going to delete all the emissions crap as I live in Texas and they don’t check it here, as well as a few mild performance upgrades....

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coolant evaporated I guess. Oil appears to have went in the cooling system

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coolant evaporated I guess. Oil appears to have went in the cooling system
Damn, sounds like it all went out the exhaust if it isn’t outside the motor anywhere. You must have been putting out one hell of a smoke screen for awhile. Cracked head or block?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had to get new tires on my 88 4.3 yesterday and coming home I overheated the motor. Had a full cooling system and was full of oil when I left. When I overheated I checked the oil and none present. Dumped 3 gallons of 50/50 in it, pulled the thermostat on the side of the road, and filled it up with oil and limped home. End of story motor is trashed. Picked a good used one up today. I’ll be tearing down the old motor here once I get out and the new one in and running, but it’ll be getting all new sensors and a new set of plugs and wires and a good general tune up before it goes in. Does anybody want to see that whole process as I’m going to do it while it’s out and everything is easy to get to? Also going to delete all the emissions crap as I live in Texas and they don’t check it here, as well as a few mild performance upgrades....

Basically 3/4 of a 350.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
OK, this story has way too many variables in it to ignore...

Did the truck have ANY problems what-so-ever BEFORE you took it to get this 'tire shop' to get your tires replaced???

Was the exhaust smoking at all that you noticed?

Is the underside of the truck covered in anything and if so is it oil or coolant?

Have you contacted the 'shop' at all since this happened and what did they say??

And lastly, FBI style, Do you have any enemies or people that wish you harm that could have worked at or paid off somebody at this 'Tire Shop' to destroy your truck?

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, this story has way too many variables in it to ignore...

Did the truck have ANY problems what-so-ever BEFORE you took it to get this 'tire shop' to get your tires replaced???

Was the exhaust smoking at all that you noticed?

Is the underside of the truck covered in anything and if so is it oil or coolant?

Have you contacted the 'shop' at all since this happened and what did they say??

And lastly, FBI style, Do you have any enemies or people that wish you harm that could have worked at or paid off somebody at this 'Tire Shop' to destroy your truck?
Yes, the more you think about this the harder it is to imagine. If he was able to drive it home with oil and coolant then he would have been able to do some diagnostic work on the problem. This would be more than just a stuck thermostat if all the oil went away. Besides, I don’t know about you, but if my motor starts to overheat I immediately shut it down and check it out to save it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
All the oil, all the coolant? Someone drained it, that doesn't just burn off in a short drive.