Transmission slipping in all gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I will start off saying that I drove my truck 4 days ago with no issues, the other night I went a short distance and felt a slight slipping in 1-2 shift and 2-3. Last night the slipping was more prominent and would not engage the next gear until rpm' s were under 2000 but would still go and I could still get up to speed. Got some trans fluid and pulling into the parking space felt a slight shudder for a few seconds. Checked trans fluid and had a lot of bubbles, not foam but bubbles. Added some fluid and it seemed to shift better although was still slipping some. I pull into my driveway 14 miles later and can't pull all the way in. Transmission acts like it's in neutral. Tried all gears and finally got a forward gear and could only get up to about 12 miles per hour, So I went around the block slowly and jumped into the driveway at 12 mph to get her in. Let it set all day and Checked fluid before start up and it's full. Fluid doesn't smell burnt but is brownish in color. Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking maybe the tc but running fine to slipping and then to nothing in any gear in under 30 miles with babying It? Never had a transmission just stop with so little warning. Any help is appreciated

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 1997 K1500 with a 5.7 and the 4l60e with 4wd.

Ok checked fuses and all look good.
Started the Truck, fluid level didn't seem to drop much if at all and I have noise now in park running, sounds like a bad torque converter

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never had a transmission just stop with so little warning

This is what they do. Speaking from experience, both of the 60Es in my red truck went from fine to completely screwed in a period of less than six hours. It's dead.

Which is why I'm in the process of a 4L80E swap. I'm tired of blowing up 60Es with a stock V6. One of them was a $2K+ build.

1997-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what they do. Speaking from experience, both of the 60Es in my red truck went from fine to completely screwed in a period of less than six hours. It's dead.

Which is why I'm in the process of a 4L80E swap. I'm tired of blowing up 60Es with a stock V6. One of them was a $2K+ build.

Thanks for the response,
Damn, never would have thought it would go from perfectly fine to done so friggin fast, guess I am lucky I made it home

Last edited:

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the fluid doesn't drop and noisy wile ideling I'd say the front pump is shot
Pull one of the cooler lines off start it and see if any fluid comes out.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best thing to do when you feel a trans slipping is to stop and get it towed to where you can diagnose the problem. Driving a slipping trans is just burning it up. A simple fix can become a total rebuild just by saving a tow bill.