Transmission shift cable bushing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob7233

Reaction score
I have a 1997 GMC C1500 Sierra SLE 5.7L and 4L60E transmission. Located in the metro Orlando area.

Where can I find the bushing that goes inside the (horseshoe) end of the shift cable, that attaches to the stud on the transmission shift lever?

Dealer says to buy the whole shift cable assembly. I won't. I called Dorman and they don't seem to have a specific one showing for my model year according to their Tech line. Someone mentioned that AutoZone has a 'Universal bushing kit' @ $15.99 but I can't be sure any of those would fit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those cables are notorious for breaking there once they get old. I am certain GM does not service the single part that breaks; they're not lying to you. They buy the cables complete from whoever makes them.

There are repair bushings out there, not sure if one is available for your application but most likely there is. They're about $25 (plus shipping.) Check bushingfix dot com and look very carefully at the choices to be sure you're getting the right part.

Most folks just replace the cable. And I hate to even mention this.. if you just need to get by for a while until you decide how you're going to repair it / waiting for parts to come in, you can clip the end of the cable on using a medium size binder clip. Trust me; it works.

Richard

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I just broke mine the other day trying to put it back on. I bought the cable off Rock Auto. I think it was around $60.

Rob7233

Reaction score
Well, I ordered from BushingFix on Ebay after all. I've had the same situation with my truck like 8 years ago and was hoping to find a faster, cheaper route this time.

I used BushingFix then and it worked perfectly and stayed attached until I had to recently drop the transmission. As I remember last time, after getting familiar with the instructions/procedure, I took less than 5 minutes to do. The repair bushing quality is better than the OEM and fits tightly like it's supposed to. To go ahead and buy a new shift cable (about $60.00) AND then take the time to replace it??! Nah, I don't think so! Also, they are about 1 1/2 hours south of me. I could drive there and back WAY faster than USPS delivers, if needed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just for grins, I really wasn't BS'ing about the binder clip. Seen in the wild; not staged :D it was holding on just fine regardless of all the slimy trans fluid leak and crud coating everything. You don't have to admit to anybody that you did this while you wait for your repair bushing to arrive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Rob7233

Reaction score
Well, I got the repair bushing in and worked like a charm. Afterward, I pulled on it firmly and everything is staying together.

I used a pick and it took a bit longer to get the old one out than it took to get the new one in (less than 10 mins total). For my 1997 GMC C1500 Sierra, I needed the BushingFix dot com - P/N S12KIT. Install the bushing into the cable arm from the trans shift lever side, the tapered end of the bushing goes in first. Use a little screwdriver to help push it in the hole while holding it with your finger. Take your time. The thing is small and easy to drop. Once you got it started in the hole, use the little orange tool to push it in. With a little force, it will pop right in. Now snap the shift cable arm onto the pin on the transmission shift lever and you're done.

The kit stated: "Late 90's GM trucks (b) use the black, most others use the green (or gray in my case), but either will work in most cables." I used the black one. So, the kit comes with two bushings that work. No more need for any zip ties or office binder clips.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The kit stated: "Late 90's GM trucks (b) use the black, most others use the green (or gray in my case), but either will work in most cables." I used the black one. So, the kit comes with two bushings that work. No more need for any zip ties or office binder clips.
I got a chuckle out of that.. in no way am I suggesting a binder clip hack, for anyone wondering. But, it will get ya home, and back and forth, until repair parts come in.

Zip ties seem to never work in this particular setup because of the movement of the pieces that need to be held together.

I've picked some up that were wrapped with what looked to be about a pound of baling wire.. I guess it worked?!

Richard