Transimission housing cracked, now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once the bellhousing is repaired/replaced I'd do dummy run assemblies and add components on each try until the problem appears.
From here, input shaft not seating in pilot bush and/or bent input shaft look to be suspects. Can the input shaft work its way forwards out of the gearbox?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
There's some good info in here, Frank Enstein had some good pointers on the dowels.

Are you using a factory style pilot bearing (needle bearings) or an aftermarket pilot bushing (typically a bronze alloy)? If your pilot isn't all the way in, or there's too much grease in there that could be hanging you up, too. I'm not sure what I'm seeing on your picture of the input shaft where it goes into the pilot. Is that just grease or is that galled up?

Good luck and post back! We'll try to help. :driver:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
are you using a tranny jack? they may not be cheap or used alot but when you do need one it's worth every penny. I have r&r'd 3 trannys. always with a tranny jack and no one or anything got hurt. iv never worked with a manual trans but taking them apart and finding the absolute correct angle for the jack was the hardest part. then they slide off and back on with ease.

they are also perfect for removing a full gas tank, removed my burbs 4 times now? 3 of them was with a full tank, all 42 fricken gallons.
Al