Trans ran low And overheated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be a dump question but I was in an accident and trans cooler broke I didn’t realize until I started to slip a little I bypassed the cooler and drove home about 80 miles it went up to 240 degrees and stayed there I added fluid so it shouldn’t of been low after awhile it seemed to lose power u think it’s permanent or just was hot thanks

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I've heard from the transmissions pro. channels on YT is that all you need to slip once to toast your transmission. Sorry man. I've been there before.

I would drop the pan to confirm...

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in middle of no ware I didn’t eavn realize it was leaking til it slipped a little I just had it rebuilt a year ago with corvette servo hd clutch plates and progressive line shift it ran so good

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even though the temperature indicated may not have roasted your fluid, the point is continued operation without adequate capacity. Parts lack of lubrication, inadequate pressures, and so a slow death most likely. Hard choices.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes
The fluid does not smell burnt and is cherry ref

Slipping clutches and heat=glazed clutches. With a broken line, the trans will pump a ton of fluid out. You said you fixed it put some fluid in but it doesn't sound as if you technically checked fluid level. More then likely you would have had to add multiple quarts basically to refill the trans.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tip of trans cooler bent it had a constant drip it took over an hour for me to notice I added 6 quarts bought a steel line and by passed the cooler I made sure it was full it felt fine but on the way home is when it got to 240 probably cause it had no cooler just the radiator by time I got home bout 80 miles it just didn’t feel right it has all gears I’ll put a cooler on it and see if it holds at 210 ware it usually stays without a load

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you're in denial. Just because it caught you off guard doesn't mean it can't still be. But we'll see what happens here when it keeps it's cool.