Trans ran low And overheated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I overheated mine once. That transmission is no longer in my truck. Probably gonna be your situation also.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your probably right
It sounds to me like you're in denial. Just because it caught you off guard doesn't mean it can't still be. But we'll see what happens here when it keeps it's cool.
your right your all right it still drives but it’s only a matter of time before it self destructs it will just slip more and get hotter I just had it rebuilt under 10000 miles ago too I must admit alcohol was involved nobody was hurt I turned into insurance

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if it still drives good then you are probably okay, no?

If the pan looks good, just do a fluid flush and ship it. Otherwise, probably will need an overhaul sooner than later.

80 conversion is not too bad. New yoke, crossmember relocation, some wire repining at the harness connector and at the ECU and ECU reflash...well, that does sound complicated, LOL. Drive shaft may need shortening, but not sure on that one.

There's several good threads, depending on what year your truck is.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to be ok I drove today it definitely lost power but it’s driveable and did not get hot but I looked closer and the front axle twisted it’s a solid axle swap dana 44 I took some pics but they don’t do justice there all bent anybody know ware I can
You must be registered for see images attach
find the right brackets the leafs are 50 inches long if that helps

Attachments

• 32CCBC94-EA85-447F-B1EB-17547AA7A6DC.jpeg
    32CCBC94-EA85-447F-B1EB-17547AA7A6DC.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 62ABF1A5-0EBC-4EF6-BFC9-24A111142D4A.jpeg
    62ABF1A5-0EBC-4EF6-BFC9-24A111142D4A.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 3

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You sure the power loss is transmission related? If it is, you're likely doing more damage the more you drive it. But bent mounts and a messed up alignment will have the truck fight itself.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a dump question
I don't know what a dump question is.

but I was in an accident and trans cooler broke I didn’t realize until I started to slip a little
Did YOU start to slip, or did your transmission slip?

I bypassed the cooler
"The" cooler? Your truck only has one? I'd expect a cooler in the radiator "cool" tank, and an external cooler in front of the radiator.

it went up to 240 degrees and stayed there
"It" the engine, or "it" the transmission, or "it" something else?

I added fluid so it shouldn’t of been low
When did you add fluid--after the trans slipped?

after awhile it seemed to lose power u think it’s permanent or just was hot thanks
"It" the transmission lost power, or "it" the engine lost power?

Despite what your English teachers said, punctuation matters. Sentence structure matters. And undefined pronouns make things difficult to understand.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only had the radiator as a trans cooler I added an aftermarket one that I mounted in front of the condenser that’s the one I bypassed because it was leaking so it still had the rad it has 35x12.5x18 10ply tires they take a lot to turn now that I got it home and I know fluid it correct and it did not over heat and does not slip anymore it just feels like it lost a step maybe it’s cause the front axle twisted idk but thanks for all your input

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would bet a sixpack if you drove it 100 ft in straight line on hard dirt road, stopped and looked back at your track you would see where some issues start. Run string line just touching rear tire sidewall at 9 and 3. Walk it forward it see an approximately where your twisted. Depending how long you continued with not enough ATF quanity, what damaged happened might be determined by higher level scanner that has more test points.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet a sixpack if you drove it 100 ft in straight line on hard dirt road, stopped and looked back at your track you would see where some issues start. Run string line just touching rear tire sidewall at 9 and 3. Walk it forward it see an approximately where your twisted. Depending how long you continued with not enough ATF quanity, what damaged happened might be determined by higher level scanner that has more test points.
Looks like the left pushed back and right pushed forward that pic is from driver rear all the leaf spring brackets are bent I think the trans will hold up for awhile and that’s what I was worried about ya it’s not straight