Trans ran low And overheated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might be a dump question but I was in an accident and trans cooler broke I didn’t realize until I started to slip a little I bypassed the cooler and drove home about 80 miles it went up to 240 degrees and stayed there I added fluid so it shouldn’t of been low after awhile it seemed to lose power u think it’s permanent or just was hot thanks

I personally would drop the pan see what gunk is in there. Your filter is probably clogged with clutch material. You can try changing it out and drain aNd fill the trans and see if that will buy you some time. But you most likely fried the transmission. 240*+80 miles+adding “some” trans fluid+constant drip= Likely fried trans. A transmission will empty out most of its fluid within a minute if there is a hole in a pressure line.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Looks like the left pushed back and right pushed forward that pic is from driver rear all the leaf spring brackets are bent I think the trans will hold up for awhile and that’s what I was worried about ya it’s not straight
For what it's worth, I smoked my second 4L65e towing my 21' ski boat (about a 4500lb setup). It had about 20k miles before I killed it. Turns out my trans cooler was disconnected prior to the second trans going in and never got hooked back up. Long story short, it started slipping bad and hit some pretty bad temps (250*F+ IIRC). What did hold me for a while before I built a 3rd trans was Lucas Stop Slip. That sh*t is magic in a bottle. It revived my OD and 1st & 3rd gear for a while. Most likely if your trans did slip and your clutches aren't completely shot, they're 100% glazed. Lucas Stop Slip is a band-aid if you're trans is slipping but it'll get ya by.

When I smoked my trans the fluid was still pink and didn't smell burnt just like yours. But upon rebuilding the transmission apart the clutches were glazed. My OD band showed no signs of wear but had a glaze on it. I'm pretty sure this will be the case for you too.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I smoked my second 4L65e towing my 21' ski boat (about a 4500lb setup). It had about 20k miles before I killed it. Turns out my trans cooler was disconnected prior to the second trans going in and never got hooked back up. Long story short, it started slipping bad and hit some pretty bad temps (250*F+ IIRC). What did hold me for a while before I built a 3rd trans was Lucas Stop Slip. That sh*t is magic in a bottle. It revived my OD and 1st & 3rd gear for a while. Most likely if your trans did slip and your clutches aren't completely shot, they're 100% glazed. Lucas Stop Slip is a band-aid if you're trans is slipping but it'll get ya by.

When I smoked my trans the fluid was still pink and didn't smell burnt just like yours. But upon rebuilding the transmission apart the clutches were glazed. My OD band showed no signs of wear but had a glaze on it. I'm pretty sure this will be the case for you too.
Ya I used that on the last transmission it worked for two years but I towed my camper on 12 hour trip and lost od then 3rd was in middle of no ware it was late so I kept going I will definitely drain fluid and use that thanks for reply