TPS and Tranny cant get along under load!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We'll call it sage when it works. Until then.....

Okay, got .61 at idle and 4.26v with center hole on the lever and cable length adjusted to get the .61 at idle

that's a lil more on top for WOT

seems to be a good amount of tension on the cable to get it to .61 at idle

numbers are swinging smooth still up and down on the meter still too

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with the key on (not started) I got .67 at idle and 4.4v at WOT

When I start the engine, it idles at .74-.80 and bounces around. once in a while a .38 or so with pop up.

She swings from idle to WOT and back down fine with just the key on.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the best I can get... I noticed it doesn't stay locked at .67 at idle when I lock it down. then, like I said, when the motor is on, the number bumps up and bounces around a little with a random drop here and there... and still cant get up to 5v at WOT

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Double check and clean all the connections especially the grounds. Make sure the computer and TPS ground are the same.

You really need the full range of voltage to make it run right.

You can also alter the cable connection at the carb to give more stroke on the cable by moving the cable attachment farther down from the throttle shaft. Moving it forward and back can change the rate of cable pull/vs. shaft rotation. The height of the bracket that holds the non-moving part of the cable vs, the throttle shaft can affect it too.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Double check and clean all the connections especially the grounds. Make sure the computer and TPS ground are the same.

You really need the full range of voltage to make it run right.

You can also alter the cable connection at the carb to give more stroke on the cable by moving the cable attachment farther down from the throttle shaft. Moving it forward and back can change the rate of cable pull/vs. shaft rotation. The height of the bracket that holds the non-moving part of the cable vs, the throttle shaft can affect it too.

As an example look at https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-700202_oh.pdf

That bracket moves the moving part of the cable back and up in relation to the throttle shaft. What this does is give the cable a raising rate of extension as the throttle is opened.

The 1st 1/4 of throttle opening moves the cable a small amount like 1/6 of the total stroke. As the throttle is opened the cable pulls out faster and faster. This gives a non-linear throttle percentage of rotation to cable travel.

This is for a TV cable but it is similar to how your cable is attached.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the best I can get... I noticed it doesn't stay locked at .67 at idle when I lock it down. then, like I said, when the motor is on, the number bumps up and bounces around a little with a random drop here and there... and still cant get up to 5v at WOT

Can you move one hole closer to the pivot?

It dancing around at idle position - it should really have a 'stop' to rest against in the way that a carb or throttle body has. What you have is the equivalent of setting the idle seed on a carb with cable tension where is should be done on a stop and the cable adjusted (with a bit of clearance) independently.

mick law

Reaction score
I have a 98 GMC... orig a 305 but it was swapped with a carbed 350 and a B&M Throttle Position Sensor to talk to the computer/tranny. It runs, drives, and shifts perfectly for flat ground and not getting into it.

Under load, like hard pedal or while climbing a hill, it seems like the overdrive is acting weird shifting up and down... not sure if it is in conjunction with the shifting but my gauges tend to bounce around at the same time.

I have a lot of codes for things that arent hooked up but specifically, I do get P0122 GEN TPS LOW Circuit Input.

It has done this since I got the truck soon after the swap... one of the issues the PO never worked out.

Could this be the problem? What can I check to find out why I am getting that code? Could it be the TPS is bad?

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you move one hole closer to the pivot?

It dancing around at idle position - it should really have a 'stop' to rest against in the way that a carb or throttle body has. What you have is the equivalent of setting the idle seed on a carb with cable tension where is should be done on a stop and the cable adjusted (with a bit of clearance) independently.

It is currently on the hole closest to the pivot on the TPS. I get the biggest range reading from there. I tried others and it won't produce as big of a range.

Everything is locked down and nothing is moving at idle but, like I said, the numbers on my meter bounce around at idle when the motor is on. Is that normal?

Also, I am concerned about the random low reading that pops occasionally. I have a new TPS coming on Tuesday - I will be able to compare the readings between the new one and this one then.

Last edited: