Torsion bar experts in here please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
So i noticed my truck looked a bit unlevel so i went to play with the bars. Found driver side almost completely unscrewed and passneger side almost screwed in all the way. Here is the problem. I tinkered with them and measured multiple times and the truck is close to right. However drivers front and passenger rear measure higher and passenger front/driver rear measure low. I am confused because raising the driver front should lower the passenger rear but the driver front is already higher than passenger front. So raise the passenger front right? Nope, driver rear already lower than passenger rear. Just trying to make fronts equal and rears equal but 1/2 higher in rear. Not trying to lift the front or anything. Plus is it a sign of a possible issue that the bolts are at about a 3/4 difference? Thanks.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
bolts could be different doubt it though and the drivers side will sit lower because of the gastank and the weight of the fuel

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Are either bars bent?
As far as lowering the rear when you raise the front; I raised my front without it affecting the rear.
Forget the #'s for now and equal the load on both bars. Drive around the block and then look at it. If the height is unequal after that u may have a key installed wrong or a fatigued shaft on one side. In my case I had a damaged cross support and bent frame. But that is worst case senerio.

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
bolts could be different doubt it though and the drivers side will sit lower because of the gastank and the weight of the fuel

Gas tank is almost empty but has had 15 years to sag on that side. Bolts are not different. They had some tape or loctite type something and looked brand new on the section that never saw the light of day or dirt.

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
Are either bars bent?
As far as lowering the rear when you raise the front; I raised my front without it affecting the rear.
Forget the #'s for now and equal the load on both bars. Drive around the block and then look at it. If the height is unequal after that u may have a key installed wrong or a fatigued shaft on one side. In my case I had a damaged cross support and bent frame. But that is worst case senerio.
Bars aren't bent from what i can tell. No matter what you say it has to effect the rear if you raise or lower the front. By equaling the load are you saying to make the bolts equal to each other and roughly in the middle of the threads?

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
And of course i will have it aligned again after everything is squared away

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
The bolts don't have to be threaded in the same amount to make the fron even, just crank up until the front is even on both sides and roll with that

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Bars aren't bent from what i can tell. No matter what you say it has to effect the rear if you raise or lower the front. By equaling the load are you saying to make the bolts equal to each other and roughly in the middle of the threads?

Yep, And you may not have to realign, That depends on how much u crank the bolts

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
Ok so the fronts are with in about 1/4 of an inch of each other but the driver side bolt is almost all the way screwed out and the passenger is almost all the way screwed in. To make level in the front i would have to max out each bolt in opposite directions. I have been riding around a bit today and it feels soft/spongy/bouncy after i adjusted the bolts. Drivers side front was actually 1/2 inch higher than rear so i lowered it to 1/4 inch lower and almost maxed out that bolt. Felt good and solid before but obviously was wrong being higher than the rear. Did very little adjusting to passenger side but it was already close to being screwed all the way in. I will try adjusting both bolts to being equal and roughly the middle of the threads. If that doesn't work for me i'll stop by my local dealer to let them take a look for any possible issue.

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
ok. had a chance to make each bolt equal to each other. truck is sitting a little over 1 inch lower on passenger side. if i do need new torsion bars where would be the best place to get them (quality parts but cheaper than the dealer)? i will have the dealer look at it in a day or two and get their "expert" opinion on the matter. i did just have the truck aligned and had to remove the knock outs and that involves taking apart a lot of the front end. any chance this might have involved anything with the torsion bars?