torsion bar goof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so like almost every newb when it comes to things, I done goofed and didnt think twice about keeping my torsion bars marked or separated. dont know which is left or right, front or back, and they have been powder coated.

I could grind off paint until I find part numbers to determine which goes where. hopefully they are stamped onto the bars, I havent checked yet

trial and error, I'm assuming everything should work correctly if put back together correctly. incorrect orientation should give some sign of incorrect install

go to the junk yard and get a new pair and mark them. If I did this, should I just grab a set of the beefer bars from a 2500 or 3500. any benefit to doing so?

Last edited:

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just grind the hex, prob going to have to do that anyways. Might get lucky to find paint marks or numbers.

Also, are the t bars part numbers different from left to right?

No different in bars other than stiffness, I put 1/2ton bars on a brand new 2007 dually when did air ride shock waves on it, that was in 2006 so I can’t remember.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
th
I would just grind the hex, prob going to have to do that anyways. Might get lucky to find paint marks or numbers.

Also, are the t bars part numbers different from left to right?

No different in bars other than stiffness, I put 1/2ton bars on a brand new 2007 dually when did air ride shock waves on it, that was in 2006 so I can’t remember.
the left and right do have different part numbers, and the max torque is significantly higher, but dont really know what that means as far as application

You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I know there is a stamping in the LCA end of each bar in my burb although i don't remember exactly what it was. Maybe an arrow showing direction of loading? I can look this evening and post photo if its useful.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is totally a guess but the max torque is for the weight of the front end depending on which engine the truck has?

1/2 ton 4wd would have a v6 and v8
3/4 ton 4wd would have a 350 and 454
1ton 4wd would have a 350 and 454

I could see 6 different part numbers if that was the case.

Then you would have GM suvs, 3/4 ton burbs and H2 hummers.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
odd numbers on drivers side,left. even numbers passenger,right. pretty much goes for all vehicles for everything. Demonstrated in the chart above as well.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if your production RPO tag in glove box lis legible, the RPO code for what bars are installed is there.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey there's a 50/50 chance you don't have to worry about it, right?

I wouldn't put beefier bars in unless you had a reason for it. They're normally selected to match the weight of the specific vehicle and are paired with the right leaves (leafs?) in the back.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there's a 50/50 chance you don't have to worry about it, right?

I wouldn't put beefier bars in unless you had a reason for it. They're normally selected to match the weight of the specific vehicle and are paired with the right leaves (leafs?) in the back.
I take it youve never heard of 50/50/90

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a 4/5 leaf pack in place of a 3/4. So going up a size in torsion bars from that perspective wouldn’t be a problem. The weight of these trucks shouldn’t matter. My old 98 was the same truck with beefier torsion bars. Same truck basically, same motor, same weight….you could order one with either torsion bar.