Softer torsion bars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71HalfTon

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies, I have a set of bilestein 4600. Would these be softer then stock?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would imagine the Bilstein 4600 is the closest available match to the Z71 factory shock.

*Subjective opinion alert*

I grew up riding around in a Z71 K1500 and the ride wasn't harsh or disagreeable at all. I am somewhat disappointed in the new Bilstein 4600s on my Jeep WJ, they improved high speed handling significantly but low speed bumps are more jarring than my dad's Z71 ever was.

*Even more subjective opinion alert*

I like Rancho shocks, I rode in an XJ that had a full set and it rode better than my XJ with junkyard Bilsteins in the front and Les Schwab Bone Shaker shocks out back. It wasn't amazing but seemed good for the money.

I've got some questionably used Ranchos in the front of my truck, and some good condition Monroe Reflex monotubes in the back, and it rides pretty close to my dad's Z71 to me.

z71HalfTon

Reaction score
So in theory would replacing the torsion bars with 6GG/7GG, and replacing the factory shocks with the bilestein 4600. Improve the ride quality enough to make it worth the work?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but where did you see that Bilstein 4600’s give a softer ride?

z71HalfTon

Reaction score
Just curious, but where did you see that Bilstein 4600’s give a softer ride?
I haven't, but correct me if I'm wrong it sounds like the 4600 was a factory option or atleast rides similar to factory. And the k1500s I have ridden in, with factory shocks seem to ride much better then my light duty k2500. So I guess I just assumed the difference in ride quality was the heavier torsion bars on my truck. But like I said that's just my limited knowledge.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't, but correct me if I'm wrong it sounds like the 4600 was a factory option or atleast rides similar to factory. And the k1500s I have ridden in, with factory shocks seem to ride much better then my light duty k2500. So I guess I just assumed the difference in ride quality was the heavier torsion bars on my truck. But like I said that's just my limited knowledge.
I have 4600’s and have no complaints. What shocks do you have now, the originals? Maybe they do need replacing. But, I’m more inclined to think it’s the 8600 gvw torsion bars.