Re-installing torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Service manual also states to “set the adjustment bolt to 34 mm (1.3 in)”. Perhaps that is the key part you need to know. (See the attached "Volume 1-Pages 3-72 to 3-73")
Thanks for posting the service manual!

But I dont see how the LCA should be oriented when installing the torsion key. Set it basically level (in the position of a neutral Z height) then set the torsion key adjustment bolt to 1.3"? Can do this by trial and error but hoping ya'll can get me close to start.

In case anyone else needs it, there's more info on Z height in this thread:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/z-height-stock-torsion-bar-setting.36391/page-2

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s simple. Jack up the front end and out it on Jack stands, slide the torsion bars into the lower control arms, insert the keys into the crossmember with the tip of the key about 1/2” to 1” below the spot that the half moon shaped keeper slides in. Slide the t bay back into the key. Then use your t bar compressor tool to crank down pressure on the key till you can get the keeper in place. Remove the key compressor tool then thread the bolt in about an inch. Lower the truck onto the ground and if it sits on the upper or lower bump stops then you know you have it one notch off. From there you can adjust your ride height till you are happy then torque the control arm bolts at ride height.