Z-height (stock torsion bar setting)??!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pntfrmr

Reaction score
Great info i drive lots of miles as i work for a company that covers all of the central us. One thing i can't stand is meeting a ******* who has raised his truck 9 inches and put ten high powered lights on it so he can get a great view of me being blinded by them as i veer into his path and hit him head-on at night wonderful job dumb ass. If this offends you, you are the dumb ass that doesn't give a **** about anyone but yourself and doesn't care about the laws or other people so get over it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sad to say the above posts aren't correct info, but thanks for tryin' to help guys : )

I was able to look up the service manual and get the numbers.

http://workshop-manuals.com/gmc/k_1...ns/vehicle_ride_(trim)_height_specifications/

The trim, or Z height, for these k1500 4x4's is 3.74 inches, measured between the bottom of the lower balljoint and the pivot bolt middle (see the below picture ref #13)

View media item 31093It's measured like this:

"Z" HEIGHT

1. Lift front bumper of vehicle up approximately 1.5 inches.
2. Gently remove hands and allow vehicle to settle on its own.
3. Repeat this operation twice more for a total of three times.
4. Measure "Z" height, Fig. 1.
5. Push front bumper on vehicle down approximately 1.5 inches.
6. Gently remove hands and allow vehicle to rise on its own.
7. Repeat this operation twice more for a total of three times.
8. Measure "Z" height.
9. Find the average of the high and low measurements. This is the "Z" height. "Z" height should be 3.74 inches

Thanks for posting that picture. It better explains where to take measurements from than I remember the factory service manual indicating. I tried setting mine to spec, but got lost with where exactly to take measurements from.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t have a 2WD, but zoomed in on the image so maybe someone can help figure it out...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
The biggest problem I'm finding, is the Service Manual says I have to tighten the Lower Control Arm bolts while the "Z" height is in spec.

But it's not adjustable on a 2WD with coil springs, like it is on a 4WD or HD with Torsion Bars.