Torque converter bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use a cheater pipe like I did on my ‘94 Blazer. I have a 2.5 foot pipe that I can put on my 1/2” drive breaker bar that gives me about 3 feet of leverage. Just make sure you have a good bite on the bolt and no slack in the pipe and just move it enough to break it loose. Then do it once more with just the breaker bar. That’s how I did mine. Two steps. I know on the torque converter bolts you probably can’t get a socket on so just get a good box end wrench and slide your pipe over it. Then get a pry bar with a thin head and get a couple of good bites on the side between the engine and transmission and wiggle that ****** till it breaks loose. Double check to make sure you have ALL the bolts out first!

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the method I have used for yeas is to use a good boxed end by that I mean a quality one.place on the bolt head and using a finger to hold flush to bolt use hammer and whack the handle of wrench.whack from left to right.looking from bell housing to front of truck

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pulling my motor in my 98 k1500 and I can’t for the life of me get the torque converter bolts out I’ve tried heating breaker bar impact gun I don’t know what to do now any help is appreciated
1. Punctuation!

2. Those bolts are only 10mm. It is NOT POSSIBLE for a properly-functioning modern 1/2" impact wrench to not take them out...or break them. Either way works for the purposes of getting the engine out. Unless it's a crappy Chinese impact wrench, or one running on less than the recommended pressure/volume of air., or connected to a too-long extension between socket and impact wrench. Turn up the air pressure. You must have 90 psi AT THE TOOL, WITH THE TOOL RUNNING. Most single-stage air compressors can't manage that for more than a few seconds; and some not at all.

If you're using some electric impact wrench...yeah, that's the problem.

If the bolt heads show SAE markings instead of metric, the threads are probably screwed-up.

3. HOW LONG is this "breaker bar"? 1/2" drive, or 3/8" drive?

4. WHAT are you using to heat the bolt? Propane is a waste of time, and I expect MAP-Pro is also a waste of time. Propane or MAP-Pro + added oxygen might work OK. I heat bolts with oxy-acetylene.

GTZ71

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTZ71

Reaction score

Got it out I don’t know what my problem was! I pulled it with the torque converter still bolted up then, when it was out I put the impact on it and the bolts came out like butter! Sometimes, all you need is a break! Thank you all for your help on the the build process.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure to verify the torque converter/front pump seal, and the pump itself, wasn't damaged in the process.

Pulling the converter with the engine always scares me.

GTZ71

Reaction score
Be sure to verify the torque converter/front pump seal, and the pump itself, wasn't damaged in the process.

Pulling the converter with the engine always scares me.

This isn’t my daily driver so I’ve got time. Ive been looking for a parts truck that’s got a nv3500. Always wanted a 5 speed and really want to make it happen. I’m not sure if I hurt anything probably did to be honest it wasn’t pretty