Low line pressure after torque converter replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meat27

Reaction score
1997 GMC Yukon 5.7 4L60E. All stock.

Transmission has been solid as a rock except for P1870 trouble code. I monitored that and sure enough the code would set when the converter couldn’t hold lockup. Narrowed that problem down to either the converter itself, or the small o-ring on the end of the input shaft. But the bullet, pulled the trans back enough to access converter, found a hard and flat o-ring that was likely the cause for not holding lockup. But I thought, I’m going back together with a new converter, just in case. Bought a stock replacement torque converter from Oreilly. Installed that.

Drove the truck and the trans felt weak, like not enough pressure. I did get up to speed enough to feel the TC lockup and hold, quite a few times. Super, that’s fixed, but the rest of the shifting and holding was not solid, though that part had been fine before. I put a pressure gauge on and sure enough the line pressure does not ever rise. In any position it stays about 60 psi. Shift into reverse, no rise. I pulled the trans electrical connector. Pressure goes up to almost 200 psi briefly, then starts falling back down to 50ish psi.

I’m about to drop the pan and check/replace the filter. But can anyone think of anything that could be damaged during the TC swap? Or can the replacement TC have a problem that affects pressure? I’m puzzled. The TC and o-ring are the only things that were changed.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 GMC Yukon 5.7 4L60E. All stock.

Transmission has been solid as a rock except for P1870 trouble code.

P1870 is the code for the classic 4L60E leaking TCC apply valve problem, is it not? Low pressure is the result.

Sonnax offers a valve kit to fix it, which may be applicable. Check it out.

The question does remain: Did you create a different problem when you swapped the TC and, if so, how?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Meat27

Reaction score
P1870 is the code for the classic 4L60E leaking TCC apply valve problem, is it not? Low pressure is the result.

Sonnax offers a valve kit to fix it, which may be applicable. Check it out.

Sure, already installed that valve kit. I’m satisfied on the P1870 code now. Just unsure why I would have lost line pressure after installing a new TC.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, already installed that valve kit. I’m satisfied on the P1870 code now. Just unsure why I would have lost line pressure after installing a new TC.

Maybe @tayto will comment, he (or others) may have some insight.

When did you install the valve kit in this process? You never said anything about it; you went right from “P1870” to “o-ring and TC replacement” in your narrative.

Last edited:

Meat27

Reaction score
Correction: also changed at the same time was the neutral safety switch, though that seems to be working fine, and I don’t see how that could have an effect on line pressure.

Meat27

Reaction score
Maybe @tayto will comment, he (or others) may have some insight.

When did you install the valve kit in this process? You never said anything about it; you went right from “P1870” to “o-ring and TC replacement” in your narrative.
I might have been misleading by bringing up the P1870. That was included simply as my reason for replacing the TC. I’m satisfied on that issue. The TC is now locking up fine. The valve repair kit, pwm solenoid mod, and tcc lockup solenoid replacement were all done, with no help for the lockup, but trans line pressure stayed fine after all that.

My current problem is that I had fine line pressure in the trans before the TC replacement, but now I don’t.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current problem is that I had fine line pressure in the trans before the TC replacement, but now I don’t.

Perhaps a stupid question; did you seat the TC all the way before bolting the trans to the engine? That could do it.

Meat27

Reaction score
Perhaps a stupid question; did you seat the TC all the way before bolting the trans to the engine? That could do it.
Very good question, and yes, TC spun all the way into place perfectly, before mating trans to engine. Then, TC pulled back out approx 3/16” when bolted to flex plate.

Meat27

Reaction score
New trans filter hasn’t helped.

I now have line pressure of 60 psi in all positions, idle or throttled up, trans connector hooked-up or unplugged.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'm wondering if maybe the pump was damaged on install. your pullout is good, but I always measure from the bellhousing to the converter pad vs that "3 click" nonsense. the measurement should be about 1". I would maybe start with the pressure regulator in the pump, maybe a piece of trash is stopping the valve from moving.

PS: do not drive the vehicle until you get the pressure issue sorted out.