Huge torque converter gap after trans swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
this is a continuation of a different solved thread.

I am working on a 1995 c1500 4.3
I bought a new 1995 used trans from a 1995 fbody lt1.

I converted the tail shaft, shifter, blah blah blah and went to bolt it up

Now I have a 1/4”+ gap between my torque converter and flex play. I know 1/8 to 3/16 is normal but this is a big gap. What changed!!!

The transmissions looked identical besides the stuff I swapped up. Both K cases, same 298mm input shaft. Even swapped a new TC on and same issue!! I am stumped… what can I do?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flexplate on backwards? I do t know if that’s possible, but it was the first thing I thought of.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you have the transmission out, take a straight edge like a carpenters level and place it across the bellhousimg bolts, then measure from the bottom of the edge to the shaft and or the front of the front pump. Check both transmissions and verify they are the same dimensions.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a continuation of a different solved thread.

I am working on a 1995 c1500 4.3
I bought a new 1995 used trans from a 1995 fbody lt1.

I converted the tail shaft, shifter, blah blah blah and went to bolt it up

Now I have a 1/4”+ gap between my torque converter and flex play. I know 1/8 to 3/16 is normal but this is a big gap. What changed!!!

The transmissions looked identical besides the stuff I swapped up. Both K cases, same 298mm input shaft. Even swapped a new TC on and same issue!! I am stumped… what can I do?
It's probably ok in a stock low HP setup. But here's Circle D's installation recommendations- greater than 3/16" they want shims between the converter and flex plate.

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
Let me clarify what I mean. So once I have everything installed. I can slide the torque converter flush with the flex plate but the 5/16 exists between the pump and the TC. Is that normal?

Note my engine is the 4.3 vortec.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me clarify what I mean. So once I have everything installed. I can slide the torque converter flush with the flex plate but the 5/16 exists between the pump and the TC. Is that normal?

Note my engine is the 4.3 vortec.
No it is not normal, needs to be shimmed tighter. I would use the recommendations from Circle D. The pump hub is not exactly strong and if too much gap exist, the pump hub drive on the torque converter will not make full contact with the pump hub and bad things can happen aka the pump hub breaks.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put a flat washer between the tc and flex plate

mwojoaa96

Reaction score
No it is not normal, needs to be shimmed tighter. I would use the recommendations from Circle D. The pump hub is not exactly strong and if too much gap exist, the pump hub drive on the torque converter will not make full contact with the pump hub and bad things can happen aka the pump hub breaks.
Should I shim it until there is zero gap all the way from the pump to the crank? Probably get longer bolts too?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the issue with it being 1/4"+ is the pilot might not be engaged in the back of the crank correctly. sounds like converter was manufactured wrong