Too soft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagg2319

Reaction score
Here's my deal I have a 92 C1500 dropped 4/6 with a mcgaughys full kit I only have one complaint it a lil to soft I used the shocks that came with the kit, does anyone know a good stiffer shock I don't want it to be like a rock but I don't want it mushy either....

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A lot of the kits come with Doetsch Nitro-drop shocks. They're O.K. I found them to be lacking when playing in the twisties.
Right now I have the Belltech Street Performers. These I like. More of a true performance shock. Some members here don't like 'em.
Others here have had success with using late '60's Impala shocks in the rear. Monroes? I have no experience with those.
There are others here that swear by Bilsteins. Again, I have no personal first hand experience.
My biggest whine about the lowering kits, is that they use a front spring that mimics the ride of a stocker, which is definitely not performance oriented. Too soft/bouncy.
When I get into another round of suspension work on my '98, the lowered kit springs are outa there! They'll be replaced with a set of stock V8 springs (not V6) that have been cut down.
Cutting the stock ones increases the spring rate & really helps to get rid of that soft bouncy 'commuter' ride. Buddy's truck that has almost the same set-up as mine, but with cut springs, handles like it's on rails! A firmer ride for sure, but his truck just feels so much more connected to the road. He doesn't bottom out his suspension like mine does in the same spots @ speed. He just kills me in the corners!

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True that! Wish my springs had a higher rate :(

Them twisties have a minor bump and its rub-a-dub fender wrecker!!

Let alone big dips on the highway, inner wells :(

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive got a buddy who has s10 gas shocks it rides like a Cadillac. im in the market now as well. Ive got the belltec street perfomers and I love them but im bottoming out in the front. Ive got DJM spindles and lower control arms, so I think I have the wrong fronts

Wagg2319

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much to cut off the factory spring to maintain the 4" drop keep in mind I already have drop spindles

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Check out that thug's thread, "My 90 Project" (Dean, bow61509) IIRC, he cut his springs, & there was a bit of a discussion in there as to how much to cut outa the coils.
You could also post up a 'Q' in the "Who did what to this or that?" thread. This has been covered before on the forum, with info from member's experiences. Someone will know the exact amount to remove.
On my phone, so my searching is a bit limited right now.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
and here I am lol. I cut one full coil and it gave me three inches drop since then I have added the spindles which puts me at five inches total drop in the front. maybe cutting half a coil or maybe even 3/4 of a coil may give you the desired two inches I think your looking for. but keep in mind every truck is different and all of them have a different amount of wear on the factory coils, so the best method is cut like half a coil throw it back together then see where your at. if it needs lower cut a little more off till you get the desired height. just keep in mind this method will be time consuming but if your trying to save money like myself, your time is free. and also once it's cut off it can't be put back so take your time to get it perfect to your likings :cheers:

sent from the c1500 Denali