Tire Sticking Out Past The Fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Well we are all here to learn from each other and sometimes that is done thru debate

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm late to the party, but here's my 94'. Sorry for the crappy cell picture, took it and I didn't have my camera with me down there. Wheels are 16X8 with 4.5" Backspacing. Tires stick out about 1.75" past the lip of the fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm late to the party, but here's my 94'. Sorry for the crappy cell picture, took it and I didn't have my camera with me down there. Wheels are 16X8 with 4.5" Backspacing. Tires stick out about 1.75" past the lip of the fender.

You left out your .02 on the spacer debate :lol:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah, get back in here! :rofl:

You can't just walk away from this!

:lol: Well, being you asked I shall givith my 2 cents on the topic :rofl:

In my opinion, spacers only have 1 use. To even out track width on both axles. For example if you lift/lower your truck and the the track width is increased or decreased on the front Axel, leaving your rear wheels sticking further out or in; then you would need to use spacers so that the rear and front axles have the same track.

Using wheel spacers on all 4 hubs just for looks isn't the best route to go. Are they dangerous? No. Can they be dangerous? Yes. There will be more stress on your hub, but there is also more stress on your hubs when you have wheels with more then stock backspacing or offset. The difference is, with an offset wheel the mounting surface of the back of the wheel sits tight up against your hub. Where with a wheel spacer, there is now a spacer between your hub and the back of the wheel. It's basically the weakest link in the combination that has the most potential for causing failure.

IF you must go with a spacer, please don't cheap out and buy the cheapest ones you can find. Buy a quality unit, preferably one that is manufactured in the USA. We have MUCH stricter quality control standards (in general) then imports. I do believe that you'd be happier with an offset wheel, then you would be with spacers.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score

Everytime someone mentions wheel spacers on any forum, a whole bunch of people come out saying they are dangerous. Then there is one or two that say they are safe and have actually used them...

I skimmed the lug nut argument, so maybe this was already debated. Those 1/4" spacers from autozone are bad because you have have less lug stud for the lug nut to hold the wheels on with...and 1/4" isn't even going to make a difference. A proper wheel spacer is no different than a wider wheel/less backspace wheel. I have run spacers and really wide wheels before(15x14 w/ 4" BS) and I have had no problems. I have found that the steering linkages, steering boxes, idler arms, etc. will break (from the added leverage of a wider wheel) before the lug studs will.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lug stud deal doesn't add up. if you engage every thread in the lug nut it will hold just as tight with or without a spacer. It won't hold any tighter just because there are threads sticking through the lug nut.

That's why I said repeatedly to ensure you had full engagement of the lug nut. If you can't get that with the spacer then you need longer studs. 100 ft lbs is a 100 ft lbs weather there are just the right amount of threads or 4" sticking past the lug nut.

If you break a lug stud with a 1/4" spacer you have bigger problems than just the spacer.