Time to drop my dash, 98 suburban 6.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDurks2

Reaction score
Got to figure out why things arent blending right. Anyone have a list of parts to replace on the air box? Figured id replace it all so I dont have to go back into it anytime soon. Also got to replace some lights and figure out why the temp guage isnt moving at all.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the GM part numbers. The main case (30) can still be purchased and includes the two inner dampers. They’re pressed onto these metal clips - they can be removed just watch that you don’t break the case in the process. The third damper is easily removed and shown in the diagram. The two in the box aren’t shown but can be purchased individually on Rockauto, etc.

Replace them, they’re most certainly rotted at the edges and leaking air. The foam above the box can be replaced with some 1” craft or upholstery foam and glued into place.

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Wait RockAuto has the recirculation and temperature doors now??? I don't remember seeing them before!

Nevermind, you probably meant the ones that come in the case you can get as a unit with the doors...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the three in the box, two of which come with the case if you buy it.

It looks like the recirc damper is included with the blower housing.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope this question enahnces this thread instead of hijacking it:
My 97 gmc doesn't switch completely from defrost to floor heat. In fact it is 80% defrost regardless of setting. I can see the mode door(?) actuator turning (therefore functioning). So, which part in the above posted diagram has failed?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
30. The doors have rubber around the perimeter that bakes and gets brittle and falls off. Then all the air just bypasses the door and blows on the windshield.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d agree with the above, once the edges rot they leak.

Some air through the side defrost vents is normal - the port on the lower left of the photo feeds those vents. It isn’t controlled by a damper and is always open.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you both. Sorry, I see where you explained it earlier but it just didn't click for me.

Where is the case available? Gm dealer?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably, or you can still get them online. Part number 52467204, likely leftover dealer stock as I doubt that they still make them new. Otherwise replace the dampers in your existing case. Mine broke two out of three times in the process, so I just bought the new one.