This question keeps coming up .. does anyone know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The earlier reg cab trucks came with all the large plastic trim pieces. From '95 on, GM cheaped out & went minimalist.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sewlow you are definitely THE MAN on this stuff. I really appreciate you shining a light on this for us newbies at this game. Has anyone mentioned using an Acetone glue here? I read someplace that an old restorer's trick is to dissolve pieces of ABS plastic (scrap trim pieces) in Acetone to form a sort of paste (of the right color) which can be used to fix broken pieces and fill cracks. I confess that I haven't tried it yet but it is on the near term agenda as I get onto this headliner project. (assuming the weather here EVER warms up)

Mine is a '93 so the earlier stuff will be what I am looking for... as soon as the yards thaw out!

EDIT

I am following another thread on repair to the heater box which appears to be made of the same sort of plastic as the interior trim . These glues have been mentioned:

Devcon Plastic Welder glue
Oatey black ABS cement

Has anyone used these and are they candidates for fixing trim parts?

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the comps, Eveready! Everyone has their own area of expertise. Mine just happens to be interiors.
The early style plastics will fit the later interiors, just so others that are attempting to do this know.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After I get some trim bought and installed and get that ugly cheap vinyl headliner outta there I will do a final writeup for this thread pulling all of these elements together along with any pictures I can either take or get donated. Thanks to all and especially Sewlow for his input. When 7thdarkAngel sends his either/or pictures we will have a better side by side comparison to look at . If anyone has more info... welcome welcome ...

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
So I’ll have to get a pic tomorrow if the two side by side. The only other vinyl headliner is in my truck. I pop it out in the am and get some pics up.

Oh the standard headliner is shorter front to back. It doesn’t go past the map light. Again plastic trim covers that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgmbald1

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 1988 c1500. I pulled all of the interior trim from a 1988 Silverado in order to use the fabric headliner. When I pulled the silverado headliner I made sure that I got the velcro pieces for the front. I pulled the old material off, cleaned the and recovered the headliner board. When pulling out the silverado trim just be a careful as possible but just understand the something is bound to break as it is old and brittle. Also there are trim attachments for the trim around the doors and back that you will need to make sure that you get as your truck will not have them. Your truck may not even have the holes drilled for some of the screws around the doors. If I remember correctly, I had to drill the holes.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 1988 c1500. I pulled all of the interior trim from a 1988 Silverado in order to use the fabric headliner... Your truck may not even have the holes drilled for some of the screws around the doors. If I remember correctly, I had to drill the holes.

Thanks ! That is exactly the sort of additional information needed here. We need a comprehensive FAQ on this upgrade and I think we are getting there. Since I have the work truck vinyl headliner i will be taking pictures when I hit the yards for upgrade parts. Thanks for the comment re the additional plastic and the new holes . That will be helpful. If you think of anything else please post it here.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I just did the heater core cover repair with the Oatey ABS cement and then sanded the excess and sprayed gloss black on it.. I also repaired my fairing on my Goldwing using this. and you can save the sanding dust and chips from abs and drop into Acetone to create a paste/glue. It takes a couple of days to dissolve though, so use a mason jar and lids to set it aside while it happens. When making a seam you can use fiberglass screen to back it and give the glue something to form to and hold. since it is on the back side and out of sight only the front side needs to be prettied up. lol

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey just out of the box thought here ... would a headliner replacement fit from an '87? The light is in about the right spot. Just thinking. I know the cabs are different.. bbbbuuuutttt well there are folks that Frankenstein their rides with other parts from different years and sources.