This is weird after coil replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
My 90 5.7 has been eating ICM's for breakfast lately. It HAD and Accel coil on it from the PO. The truck seemed to run fine. Started good, ran good and decent mileage.

So I go to the bone yard and get a replacement coil. Put it on and the truck seems to run the same. EXCEPT for one thing. The drone from the exhaust is less. Still there but much less volume.

Just kind of a weird thing.

Ken

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fairly likely that the crappy Accel coil failed internally; that's the most common cause of repeat ignition module failure.

Really smart going to the Treasure Yard for an OEM-quality coil at advantageous pricing.

But is the ignition module in the vehicle now, wounded by the previous coil? Wouldn't surprise me to find you have one more module failure in store.

Might want to go back to the Treasure Yard for an OEM ignition module, too.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Accell anything seems to be pretty much branded junk these days.
Make sure you are using heat sink paste under the ICM and not dielectric grease.
They are not the same thing.
Make sure the dist isnt worn and corroded.
And fix all of the grounds including the manifold grounds and the ground strap from the back of the pass head to the firewall and then to the frame.
If you have any gauge issues or plug fouling problems you might be surprised what a ground repair will do for you.

kenh

Reaction score
Fairly likely that the crappy Accel coil failed internally; that's the most common cause of repeat ignition module failure.

Really smart going to the Treasure Yard for an OEM-quality coil at advantageous pricing.

But is the ignition module in the vehicle now, wounded by the previous coil? Wouldn't surprise me to find you have one more module failure in store.

Might want to go back to the Treasure Yard for an OEM ignition module, too.

Accell anything seems to be pretty much branded junk these days.
Make sure you are using heat sink paste under the ICM and not dielectric grease.
They are not the same thing.
Make sure the dist isnt worn and corroded.
And fix all of the grounds including the manifold grounds and the ground strap from the back of the pass head to the firewall and then to the frame.
If you have any gauge issues or plug fouling problems you might be surprised what a ground repair will do for you.

I also snagged two Genuine GM ICM's and a no brand. Have a NIB module in the glovebox with a 5.5mm nut driver to change it when it goes **** up. Yes I am using some heat sink paste that is intended for electronics. It's old, a little thick but spreads out OK. The parts store person told me the dielectric was the same as heat paste. I told her no it isn't!!

All grounds were cleaned about a years ago. Every connection was cleaned shiney bright, engine, frame and firewall. No gauge issues except for a failed temp gauge that was replaced. I did grab a good dizzy as the trigger wire insulation on mine is cracking. It was tough finding one that wasn't all corroded and crusty looking.

Oh, I grabbed two coils, "just in case"....

Ken

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also snagged two Genuine GM ICM's and a no brand. Have a NIB module in the glovebox with a 5.5mm nut driver to change it when it goes **** up...

...I did grab a good dizzy as the trigger wire insulation on mine is cracking...

...Oh, I grabbed two coils, "just in case".
Proud of you.

K

kenneth j hanawalt

So...... I found a complete 5.7 i plan to rebuild then do a weekend swap. Everyone knows my ICM woes. Got the engine home and AFTER swapping in my bone yard dizzy get to thinking about the one on my new to me engine. Pull the broken cap off and find what appears to be a remanufactured dizzy. Has a plate over the ICM stating if the ICM is removed it voids the warranty. Well I removed the plate and the ICM is not GM but the dizzy looks real good. It will get installed as is except will swap out the Phillips head screws for the hex head in case I need to swap the ICM out.

Ken

Attachments

• 16241064268048629005601968511061.jpg
    16241064268048629005601968511061.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 11
  • 16241064582248648428703911368628.jpg
    16241064582248648428703911368628.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 12

kenh

Reaction score
YA....... Stupid phone lost my login and couldn't remember my current password. I asked to have that account deleted but no joy so far.

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
YUP! On the way home from picking up my "new" engine running down the interstate at 75 mph the engine just shuts off. Throw it in neutral, key off back on and it fires right up. . Thinking "boy is that lucky"! Next day pull up to a stop light, setting there idling and the truck shuts off but won't start. YUP...... Push it off the road, install the new ICM and away we go.

Installed the dizzy from the doner engine and its running just fine. We'll see how this goes! LOL

Ken