Thinking of tearing into it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to pull anything off it will need a gasket. The throttle body an upper plenum do, I think the iac has one as well.

You can pull the tps an try to clean it but if it doesn't hesitate when you mash the gas or speed up/slow down on it's own it's probably fine. When they go bad it's just time to replace them in my experience anyways.

If your running rich you probably have a bad/leaky poppet valve or a leaking fpr, all under the upper plenum. I vaguely remember your other threads. Is it throwing any codes? What all have you done already?

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If googling lead me in a helpful direction, I wouldnt still be having the same issue for the past year and a half. And the folks up at AutoZone just look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask something.
"Do you have any general purpose bosch 12v relays? The one with 5 pins."
"Well that all depends on the vehicle"
"It's not vehicle specific, it's just a single pole dual throw relay"
"Well let's look."
*proceeds to show me every picture of everything labeled relay for my Suburban*
"That's not any of them."
"Let me look it in the back"
*comes back with exactly what I was looking for*
"Yeah, that's it."
"I knew what you were talking about, but I was trying to find something like it listed for your truck."
"Oh, how much?"
"$18"
"Nevermind, I can get one for $5 online."

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your going to pull anything off it will need a gasket. The throttle body an upper plenum do, I think the iac has one as well.

You can pull the tps an try to clean it but if it doesn't hesitate when you mash the gas or speed up/slow down on it's own it's probably fine. When they go bad it's just time to replace them in my experience anyways.

If your running rich you probably have a bad/leaky poppet valve or a leaking fpr, all under the upper plenum. I vaguely remember your other threads. Is it throwing any codes? What all have you done already?
I thought upper plenum had o-rings. And I've never heard of a throttle body gasket.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought upper plenum had o-rings. And I've never heard of a throttle body gasket.

Well actually they both have O-rings that are more than likely going to tear when you remove them, same difference....

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well actually they both have O-rings that are more than likely going to tear when you remove them, same difference....
So basically, as soon as I do anything, I'll have to start spending money to put it back together without leaks.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read back through both those threads an I stand by the advice I gave in the first one. I'm betting you need a new injector assembly or fpr. The back firing is unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. If you keep driving it with it that rich your going to melt your converters as well...

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
If googling lead me in a helpful direction, I wouldnt still be having the same issue for the past year and a half. And the folks up at AutoZone just look at me like I'm an idiot when I ask something.
"Do you have any general purpose bosch 12v relays? The one with 5 pins."
"Well that all depends on the vehicle"
"It's not vehicle specific, it's just a single pole dual throw relay"
"Well let's look."
*proceeds to show me every picture of everything labeled relay for my Suburban*
"That's not any of them."
"Let me look it in the back"
*comes back with exactly what I was looking for*
"Yeah, that's it."
"I knew what you were talking about, but I was trying to find something like it listed for your truck."
"Oh, how much?"
"$18"
"Nevermind, I can get one for $5 online."

AutoZone website. They have trouble shooting snd repair guides.

Sent from Robland

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
The money you put into this truck won't come close to buying a new one fact!

Sent from Robland