Can't shift into first gear.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetboatracer

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1997 chevy c3500 dually 7.4 automatic i noticed the other day it's not going into first gear when i select it just stops at 2nd, But i can move lever mounted under there with my hand to click into 1st So i youtubed on some adjustments in how to re adjust the cable by cycling the lever 8-10 times P to 1st still did NOT make it past 2nd. So i figured the cable was just worn out bought a new cable still the same thing won't go into first just stops on 2nd.
At this point i'm stumped or what to try next? I even put in first by hand down there and clicked the white lock then went to Park and back down stopped at 2nd gear :mad:...
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine does the same haven’t tried to mess with it but figured the cable was out of adjustment. My shift lever isn’t in the correct position when I go to 3rd it does lower than the detent to push it forward when it’s in a certain gear. Would love some experts to chime in here

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s the procedure from a 98 manual, maybe it’ll help.

You must be registered for see images attach

jetboatracer

Reaction score
Here’s the procedure from a 98 manual, maybe it’ll help.

Still doing the same thing, won’t go into 1st even after doing the 10 times adjustment. Is their any other adjustments I can do?

jetboatracer

Reaction score
Still won’t go into 1st even after doing the 10 times adjustments procedure, is there any other adjustments I can make? It’s the right cable.