Thinking of tearing into it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm considering just starting to tear into my engine to hunt down the issue with the running rich and such. Exactly how far in can I go, before it becomes a point of no return? As in, replacing gaskets and such. How far can I go before I have to start spending money rather than just time?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Well you shouldn't have to tackle much if your concerned about it running rich. How are your sensors? Are there any vacuum leaks? Are your injectors leaking?

Sent from Robland

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you shouldn't have to tackle much if your concerned about it running rich. How are your sensors? Are there any vacuum leaks? Are your injectors leaking?

Sent from Robland

Havent pulled the O2s yet, cant check the injectors into I pull the upper intake off, and so far no vacuum leaks. All I know is that at idle, you can smell unburnt fuel and watch the smoke blow by the windows.

I have 3-4 different threads open discussing various degrees of my problems.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Havent pulled the O2s yet, cant check the injectors into I pull the upper intake off, and so far no vacuum leaks. All I know is that at idle, you can smell unburnt fuel and watch the smoke blow by the windows.

I have 3-4 different threads open discussing various degrees of my problems.

Well take a flash light and open the throttle and look into the intake to see if your injector pod has a puddle of fuel around it. Then the whole pod may need yo be replaced. IIRC the temp sensor can have an effect on your condition too. So look down the intake, try brakleen on o2 sensors. How is the IAC &TPS?

Sent from Robland

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well take a flash light and open the throttle and look into the intake to see if your injector pod has a puddle of fuel around it. Then the whole pod may need yo be replaced. IIRC the temp sensor can have an effect on your condition too. So look down the intake, try brakleen on o2 sensors. How is the IAC &TPS?

Sent from Robland
Well, cant see a pool of gas last I checked, how do I check the temp sensor, how do I check IAC(Idle Air Control?) and TPS
(Throttle Position Sensor?)?

And does it have to be Brakleen? I have Autozone brand brake cleaner if that counts.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Well, cant see a pool of gas last I checked, how do I check the temp sensor, how do I check IAC(Idle Air Control?) and TPS
(Throttle Position Sensor?)?

And does it have to be Brakleen? I have Autozone brand brake cleaner if that counts.

there is write ups on here about checking your sensors. Any kind of brake cleaner works. Its no guaranteed to work. Only if they are not fried.
For iac I just assume high idle for s long period of time. They are like $50. Tps is usually an erratic idle.

Sent from Robland

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is write ups on here about checking your sensors. Any kind of brake cleaner works. Its no guaranteed to work. Only if they are not fried.
For iac I just assume high idle for s long period of time. They are like $50. Tps is usually an erratic idle.

Sent from Robland

But here's no way to pull out the IAC or TPS to look at them?

But basically, I'll be wasting my time to start taking apart the intake and such?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
But here's no way to pull out the IAC or TPS to look at them?

But basically, I'll be wasting my time to start taking apart the intake and such?

P2(bluex) has a vortec and may be able to help. I have a tbi so im tryin to help the best I can. Come on over to the chat thread. Some of us may be able to help.

Sent from Robland

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont want to clutter up the chat thread with me asking another question. I'm surprised I'm not well known for asking 5 million questions...

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Google and AutoZone are helpful resources. I ask in the chat thread if I need a fast response.

Sent from Robland