Thinking of tearing into it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ask the same d@mn question 5 million times because I dont want to start a friggin fight in the family for throwing money into attempting to fix something based off of something someone "on the internet" and I've "never met" told me and have it not be the problem. Because if the problem doesnt get fixed the first time, there wont be a second time... And even if it does get fixed, I'll get b!tched at for spending the money in the first place.

I trust you folks as a whole. I wouldnt believe anything if it was just one guy telling me 5 different things, but it's 3-4 of y'all telling me the same thing.
But my opinion doesnt mean a g0d d@mn thing around this house, because "my uncle is a mechanic" and if he says something, my family follow him like g0d d@mn sheep. He talks mad **** about folks that have paid money to be where he is, but at the same time, he wouldnt be where he is if he didnt have connections. He thinks he's billy-frakking-b@d@ss because he doesnt have any certification or schooling yet can do sooooo much.

Hell, I'm not even allowed to THINK about a mod without getting 5 million "No"s. Regardless of if it's free or not. And when I just do it, I get 4-5 different opinions on why I made a bad choice.

So if you feel like I need my hand held, by all means come hold it, because at least I wont be the only one getting b!tched at anymore.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am amazed you don't have a slew of SES Codes........ Pull your intake ducting off the throttle body, unplug your TPS and IAC, remove the throttle body (3 bolts into the intake mani and one for the throttle/cruise control bracket and look for a lake of fuel in your intake manifold. You might be able to see it without removing the throttle body but with it removed you can see farther back.

Alright. Big update. Still running rich, but we've narrowed it done further.

Got the codes tonight.
  • P0172 Rich Bank 1
  • P0175 Rich Bank 2
  • P0300 Misfire

Then we did some more investigating. We did a fuel pressure test. It sits at just under 60 running, which he says is fine. When we shut her off, it slowly drops to 20. "Well, it might be your fuel pump. But let's check on that misfire." We look on the scanner at the individual cylinders. All cylinders have a misfire history, but cylinders 5 and 7 actively. We stopped at the conclusion of a possible crack in the spider.
That was back in December. Havent gotten it rescanned recently.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoops...... didnt see that post. with it being rich on both cyl banks it leaves me to believe it is a fuel leak. weather it be from a cracked spider, leaking poppet valve or a bad FPR (yeah I know that doesn't narrow it down a whole hell of alot) With the missfire counts being active on 5 and 7 for the most part I would say it's probably a cracked spider line right above those two cylinders that is fogging the whole intake manifold in a mist of fuel.

Now as for the pressure drop...... To figure out if it is just the regulator bypassing fuel into the return line take a vice grips and gently clamp off the return line under the truck (rubber line) if pressure holds the FPR is faulty, if not it's either the pump letting fuel pass backwards or you truely have a crack in the spider.

It wont cost you any money (if rubber o ring type gaskets are half @ass new) to take off the throttle body and have someone turn the key on and see if there is fuel spraying anywhere abnormal.......

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
First of all, you can't work on any vehicle without spending money. You may very well be able to take off the throttle body and reuse the gasket. That is the first step to see if you have gas in the intake from a likely leaking poppet.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I ask the same d@mn question 5 million times because I dont want to start a friggin fight in the family for throwing money into attempting to fix something based off of something someone "on the internet" and I've "never met" told me and have it not be the problem. Because if the problem doesnt get fixed the first time, there wont be a second time... And even if it does get fixed, I'll get b!tched at for spending the money in the first place.

I trust you folks as a whole. I wouldnt believe anything if it was just one guy telling me 5 different things, but it's 3-4 of y'all telling me the same thing.
But my opinion doesnt mean a g0d d@mn thing around this house, because "my uncle is a mechanic" and if he says something, my family follow him like g0d d@mn sheep. He talks mad **** about folks that have paid money to be where he is, but at the same time, he wouldnt be where he is if he didnt have connections. He thinks he's billy-frakking-b@d@ss because he doesnt have any certification or schooling yet can do sooooo much.

Hell, I'm not even allowed to THINK about a mod without getting 5 million "No"s. Regardless of if it's free or not. And when I just do it, I get 4-5 different opinions on why I made a bad choice.

So if you feel like I need my hand held, by all means come hold it, because at least I wont be the only one getting b!tched at anymore.

You've obviously got other issues that you need to deal with before you can get around to these ones. Time to take 5.. find a new uncle..
When life gives you lemons... YOU FIND A NEW GOD

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well if this is the case then you should probably drop it off at a shop for diagnosis an repair. It might cost more but it will be fixed without guess work. I'm not trying to be a jerk but its incredibly hard to diagnose something over the internet.

Several of us agree based on the symptoms/codes you've given us an that's really the best we can do without actually looking at the truck. Personally if it was mine I'd pop for the upgraded spider assembly which will include the fpr. You can do it yourself for about $300 or it will probably be double that at a repair shop. That should take care of your issues. Good luck! :cheers: :handshake:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I order this, it comes with a new FPR included, no? Then all I'll need is the gasket set posted up before?

Probably going to do this either Wednesday or Thursday. Found out I'm a little more broke than I thought I am and have to wait til Wednesday when I get paid to try to buy it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I order this, it comes with a new FPR included, no? Then all I'll need is the gasket set posted up before?

Probably going to do this either Wednesday or Thursday. Found out I'm a little more broke than I thought I am and have to wait til Wednesday when I get paid to try to buy it.

Yes it does. You can save some cash an get a better injector unit if you order a ac delco or Delphi from rock auto or Amazon....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do any checking on the fpr first before ordering anything? Fuel pressure, looking for puddles.....

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it does. You can save some cash an get a better injector unit if you order a ac delco or Delphi from rock auto or Amazon....
Well the one I posted is supposed to be the upgraded spider. I looked on rockauto and the only upgraded one they have is remanufactured and new is a lot more than from AutoZone. The AC Delco or Delphi ones are just replacements of what's already there.

Did you do any checking on the fpr first before ordering anything? Fuel pressure, looking for puddles.....
No I havent done that checking yet, but I also havent ordered anything yet. Already checked fuel pressure back in December, results already posted. Looking down the throttle body shows no puddles either.