Things I learned replacing headlight housings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just a quick note on some problems I ran into and how I got through them. I kind of went at this little project blind and it turned out to be a little more involved than predicted.

I have a new to me 1998 K2500. Pretty sure it had the original lights. I asked about new headlight housings at my local O'Reilly's on a whim, and when they had them both in stock I couldn't say no. They are "TYC" brand, I went ahead and put a bead of silicone sealant around the edge to try and prevent water intrusion. I also got some HIR1/9011 Hi beam bulbs and HIR2/9012 bulbs and modified them to fit the stock 9005/9006 housings.

Youtube showed me it's a simple two long bolts and the headlights come right out, which is true, but I had a bear of a time getting the new ones in and ended up snapping off one of the pieces on the plastic anchor pieces that the lights bolt to.

Big picture, it's WAY easier to just take the whole grill off. Since I snapped one of the original plastic anchor pieces I ended up needing to use the plastic anchor piece that came with the TYC lights. I didn't check to see how well the fit in comparison to the OEM anchor and before I knew it it was 8pm and I was working in the dark and extremely frustrated.

In the morning with a fresh outlook, I took my time and compared the aftermarket anchor lineup with the OEM anchors. I ended up using rubber shims (chopped up hydraulic hose) and got the holes to line up much better. I also loose fitted the lights and THEN put the grill on, MUCH easier.

Hope this helps someone that goes to do the same project!

*P.S. I am not a Gamecocks fan but they're the local team in my area and I feel like it's bad luck to take it off the truck until she learns that I am going to take good care of her [emoji1787]
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

CATman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad i am not the only one who had trouble lining up those type after market lights. I had to make the holes in the housing oblong to lineup with the right height. much easier to work on the lights with the grill off.
Looks good. I am waiting on a different set of side marker lights. Those marker lights are for chevy grille. They don't sit flush.
Did you add lights in the upper marker lights?

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at the side marker lights briefly, but I was pretty fried out on the project by that point. I couldn't see a way to get light to show out of the top side markers and the bottom side markers are working fine. I'm very function oriented vs fashion oriented and the whole goal was to increase the light output. I had previously been running with high beams on all the time just to see safely at night and never once got flashed. The HIR1 and 2 bulbs are fantastic and make a huge difference, I can now see safely. Eventually I will do the "4-hi" mod, I spoke with a gentleman on here that fabricates a fantastic wiring harness but at this point it's more of a want than a need, but once I DO buy and install that harness I honestly don't think a light bar will be necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

CATman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the high beam mod on mine. Fairly simple to make up without the harness. But the harness will be easier.
I had sealed beam headlights with the work truck grille. Yeah I couldn't see anything with the old lights. Later I will change the bulbs like yours.