Thermostat Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethturbo

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post and i’m having some thermostat fitment issues, i have a 93 k1500 truck with a non vortec 5.7.
and i’ve tried multiple thermostats and thermostat gaskets from autozone and advanced auto, and with no avail every single one of them move around within the little circle it’s meant to sit in, has anyone had a similar problem or have any recommendations?? All help is appreciated

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how it's supposed to sit. Put the gasket down, center the thermostat on top of the gasket, put the hose mount on top and tighten it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If there's a stepped lip on the hole in the intake, it requires that o-ring type seal fancyTBI mentioned. It's a square-cut o-ring with a split in the inner diameter where you put it around the flange of the thermostat. Your 1993 should use this style of seal if it has the original intake/hasn't been swapped out with an older unit.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's a stepped lip on the hole in the intake, it requires that o-ring type seal fancyTBI mentioned.
Photo? Is this "stepped lip" something special?

Every Chevy manifold I've ever seen has a stepped lip that the thermostat sits in. The themostat is not a precision-fit in that hole, so it can be wiggled-around some. The gasket goes on top, and you bolt the thermostat housing down. Done.

As "sorta" visible in this photo of an aftermarket manifold, but the concept goes back to 1955. Sorry, I don't have a better picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If this was 13-14 years ago I could go out into the shop and grab some pics. Today I don't have that big shop full of stuff to use as examples. :(

Memory is fuzzy now but I want to say there's a noticeable difference in the older vs. later style TBI intakes that dictates whether you would use the thermostat with the split O-ring style seal, or the old paper gasket. Again it's a fuzzy memory so I'm 100% open to correction on this if someone has some solid examples to go by. That pic is of a current model GMPP intake, I'm talking about the OEM stuff from 1988-1995. That fuzzy memory is telling me there's a split in the model years where the older ones use the paper gasket and later ones use the O-ring.

Richard