The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're cutting used springs, at the least you're going to want to measure and compare the springs first and make sure one's not sagged more than the other.

A step more sophisticated is to compress them with a weight on a lever and measure again to make sure they're not soft. You'll have to DIY a fixture to do it right.

Or you could do it the janky way. When I was in Vo-Tech thirty years ago, a fellow student heated all the coils on his square body and then just dropped the floor jack down. It was seriously slammed, and the next day he ripped the headers from the block driving over some railroad tracks.

utvolfan76

Reaction score
Wont cut coils cause a truck to ride more stiff? Or does that just depend on what your driving. Let’s say 1500 v8 truck vs a 3500 6.5 diesel. We cut half a coil on the wife’s CCLBD 6.5 and it brought it down probably 3 inches. But the ride quality did not feel any different.
Ive cut plenty of them on 73-87 trucks, and I have never had anything but good luck. I also never cut more than 1 coil. Ive got a 80 model that is a borderline "show" truck, it has cut springs........On the OBS Im fixing up , I may decide to sell it at some point, so I used Belltech coils on it , due to the fact alot of people will consider cut coils a "hackjob".

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now if I remember right when setting up the rear you are supposed to have the driveline 3 degrees off dead center , from the trans to the pinion so that the Ujoint is doing it's job. That way you don't get wobble or knocking out joints. I know on small trucks the blocks for the rear come in different degree sets, so I would imagine reinstalling the spring perches on the rear end when doing a flip would also let you set the angle of the rear end. Anyone know if this is right?

jpcedotal

Reaction score
I want to drop it as low as possible when parked, but run at this ht...(wife is short and I want to set it on the ground when she gets in and out). I do not want to change tires or rims

Truck pics are my profile pics

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to drop it as low as possible when parked, but run at this ht...(wife is short and I want to set it on the ground when she gets in and out). I do not want to change tires or rims

Truck pics are my profile pics
Buy steps that move. Cheaper, and far better for your needs.
And just so ya know, expecting people to go find pictures of your truck just so they can help you is not the best way to get help....

FIDELITY

Reaction score
Hello! I know this has probably been covered at some point in this thread but I was wondering if there's a 2/4 lowering kit for long bed that doesn't require drilling holes for the rear in the bed attachment brackets for sclb? I have a 1998 C1500 W/T. Is it even worth doing a shackle/hanger or should I just go with a flip and be done with it? I wouldn't want more than 5" drop so I assume I'd have to get 1" lift shackles? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! I know this has probably been covered at some point in this thread but I was wondering if there's a 2/4 lowering kit for long bed that doesn't require drilling holes for the rear in the bed attachment brackets for sclb? I have a 1998 C1500 W/T. Is it even worth doing a shackle/hanger or should I just go with a flip and be done with it? I wouldn't want more than 5" drop so I assume I'd have to get 1" lift shackles? Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Flip it and be done. Cheaper, lower, and way easier.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put on belltech's four-inch shackle/hanger drop on my 92 1500 RCLB.

The shackles have no problem clearing everything as is. The hangers do need to have the bed attachments ground down but it's not really too big a deal if you have access to an angle grinder.

If you decide to get the upper shock mount relocation kit, like I did, you'll have to remove about 9 inches of the bed crossmember for the PASSENGER side mount to clear.

I cannot speak to a flip kit, but I do know everyone says you won't be happy with a 2/4 drop. Everyone will want to go lower, lol