The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike1981

Reaction score
Thanks for the info man, the previous owner took one leaf out of the leaf springs before i got it then i put drop shackles and drop hangers on it, so i was wondering if i got 2 inch lowering leaf springs put on, would the ride quality be better, or would it ride exactly the same? Right now i want to say i am close to 6 inches of drop, but i could be wrong...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes there is, the top will fit any way, but the bottom has a pocket where the end of the spring sits in the LCA, and there is a drain hole there so that water doesn't collect there and rust the bottom of the spring out.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't looked at a stock arm recently but I think there is only 1 drain hole on these right where the end of the spring fits in the lower pocket.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but is it possible to have stock ride height on bags and if so how low does the truck sit aired out? Id imagine most people that decide to lower are a few inches lower then stock when aired up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To anyone who has dropped the front end 3" using just coils, did you have any issues getting everything aligned afterward?

EDIT: As a side note, what's the lowest you can go in the rear without needing shock extenders? I know 5" or lower seems to be the cutoff where a notch becomes necessary but I wasn't sure if the same holds true for the shock extenders.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Guys that have lowered 5" don't seem to have a lot of probs with alignments that I'm aware of. That's 3" coils, & 2" spindles. Spindles don't affect the alignment, so technically the 3" coils are the same as what they've done. Just make sure the upper control arms have had the adjustment knock-outs punched.

Shock extenders aren't so much for the ability to run a certain length shock. Shocks come in a lot of different lengths so there are more than a few choices there. What they do do, is correct the angle of the shock, as the lower you go, the more laid out they become, causing them to act more like levers as opposed to absorbers. The ride quality would certainly be compromised without them on a 5" drop. I'd use them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok great, thanks for the info. Regarding the shock mount extenders I was really just curious as to what height you could really feel the difference at. Would you use them on a 4" drop? I'm thinking about going 3/4 on my truck, just springs front and rear (Belltech leafs, DJM coils) with Bilsteins. The reason I'm considering going with lower leaf springs in the back is because I've got some Chevy lean, driver's side rear sits a little more than half an inch lower than the passenger side regardless of fuel in the tank. I was thinking that a new set of springs couldn't hurt. My truck spent quite a few years hauling heavy construction equipment when my dad owned it, I'm sure those factory leafs have seen better days.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but is it possible to have stock ride height on bags and if so how low does the truck sit aired out? Id imagine most people that decide to lower are a few inches lower then stock when aired up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck is at stock height when fully aired up, and fully lays frame when aired out!