The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanB

Reaction score
hey folks.
I've ordered Belltech lowering leaf springs (part# 5950) for my sport.

Just wondering if it would be wise to purchase shock extenders and use factory shocks or would I need lowering shocks. I've heard I don't need neither and that factory shocks work fine if only a 4" drop.

Thanks for everyones help

DanB

Reaction score
2" drop with shackles = stock length shocks.
4" drop with extenders = stock shocks. The extenders give back 2".
4" drop with no extenders = 2" shorter shocks.

Beauty answer^

I'll pick up the extenders.

Should I have any driveline issues requiring correction by way of a kit if i'm doing a 4" ass end drop

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This has become a rather large thread & it would take some reading to find the following info which I've posted here before. I don't blame you for not searching! Lol!
The pinion angle on a 4" drop will probably be outa whack.
There is no 'kit' as such, to correct that.
This shows what you need to aim for. #2 is as good as it gets on these trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

So... correcting the pinion angle requires a wedge to be installed between the spring perches & the springs.
My '97 was dropped 2/4 about 8 or 9 years ago & my memory as far as the degree of wedge required is, *ahem*, 'foggy'. #oldfartdisease.
But, seeing as the wedges I have left-over in my tool box from going through this, way back when, are 4* & 6*, then I'd say that the wedge required (at least on my truck) is a 2*.
To install the wedges requires some modifications.
The centering pin in the spring pack needs to have a longer head in order to reach through the wedge & fit into the hole in the spring perch.
GM lists 4 lengths of centering bolts for GMT400s. C1500's use the shortest listed. Buy the next longer. Cheap. Don't buy some kinda hardware store bolt. I would think that the GM bolt has a strength grade. 5? 8? Dunno. But in the past big HP/stickshift MuscleCars I've owned, I've managed to turn those centering bolts into dust (!) Guess they didn't like the the combo of 450+hp BBC & 6750rpm no-lift power-shifts. HeHe.
Then, crank a new nut up to the head of the new bolt with a bit of red LocTite. Take that to a grinder & remove the shoulders of the nut, rounding them off to the diameter of the bolt's head. Install into the spring pack.

Those extenders aren't just for the ability to use a certain length shock.
They are actually correcting the angles of the shocks. This is because as the diff is raised. the shocks become too laid out & no longer work in the manner that they were designed to.
Even still, they don't get the shock angles quite right.
I highly recommend BellTech's upper shock mount relocation kit.

BellTech part #6658. Shop around for the best price. Usually under $70.00 usd.
The kit is listed for use with a 6"+ rear drop, but works excellent for a 4" drop as well.
What that kit does is bring the shock's upper mounts closer to the diff, resulting in even better angles than what the extenders provide.

Last edited:

DanB

Reaction score
This has become a rather large thread & it would take some reading to find the following info which I've posted here before. I don't blame you for not searching! Lol!
The pinion angle on a 4" drop will probably be outa whack.
There is no 'kit' as such, to correct that.
This shows what you need to aim for. #2 is as good as it gets on these trucks.

So... coreecting the pinion angle requires a wedge to be installed between the spring perches & the springs.
My '97 was dropped 2/4 about 8 or 9 years ago & my memory as far as the degree of wedge required is, *ahem*, 'foggy'. #oldfartdisease.
But, seeing as the wedges I have left-over in my tool box from going through this, way back when, are 4* & 6*, then I'd say that the wedge required (at least on my truck) is a 2*.
To install the wedges requires some modifications.
The centering pin in the spring pack needs to have a longer head in order to reach through the wedge & fit into the hole in the spring perch.
GM lists 4 lengths of centering bolts for GMT400s. C1500's use the shortest listed. Buy the next longer. Cheap. Don't buy some kinda hardware store bolt. I would think that the GM bolt has a strength grade. 5? 8? Dunno. But in the past big HP/stickshift MuscleCars I've owned, I've managed to turn those centering bolts into dust (!) Guess they didn't like the the combo of 450+hp & 6750rpm no-lift power-shifts. HeHe.
Then, crank a new nut up to the head of the new bolt with a bit of red LocTite. Take that to a grinder & remove the shoulders of the nut, rounding them off to the diameter of the bolt's head. Install into the spring pack.

Those extenders arent just for the ability to use a certain length shock.
They are actually correcting the angles of the shocks. This is because as the diff is raised. the shocks become too laid out & no longer work in the manner that they were designed to.
Even still, they don't get the shock angles quite right.
I highly recommend BellTech's upper shouck mount relocation kit.

BellTech part #6658. Shop around for the best price. Usually under $70.00 usd.
The kit is listed for use with a 6"+ rear drop, but works excellent for a 4" drop as well.
What that kit does is bring the shock's upper mounts closer to the diff, resulting in even better angles than what the extenders provide.

Good lord. Excellent reply. Cheers mate. Not only myself, but many will benefit from this for sure

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Good lord. Excellent reply. Cheers mate. Not only myself, but many will benefit from this for sure

Thanks!
But in reality...I just talk too much! Lol!
The pinion angle B.S. was the biggest PitA to deal with when I did the 2/4.
I've gotten quite proficient at tearing the rear suspension down between this truck & the mods I've done on my '98 @ 4/7.
Because of the pinion angle corrections I had to do, along with installing that driver side hangar & the fact that, well...IMO, 2/4 just isn't low enough, I'll never do another. Not like I wasn't warned beforehand by the O.G. members here.
First thought when walking away & looking back is..."Damn. Close. But, no cigar. Needs Mo' LoW!"

Forgot a couple of things.
The wedges you'll need are 2.5" wide & the fat end goes towards the front of the truck.
You can't do one side without loosening off the U-bolts on the other side.
Use a couple of C-clamps to hold the springs in position so that the hole through the spring pack stays aligned. Just saves on the headaches.

The victim.
...and like everyone else that's ever done a 2/4, it's going to be lower.
Don't be like me & turf those front hangars. Keep 'em! You'll need to re-install them when you go 4/6. Lol!

DanB

Reaction score
Thanks!
I've gotten quite proficient at tearing the rear suspension down between this truck & the mods I've done on my '98 @ 4/7.
Because of the pinion angle corrections I had to do, along with installing that driver side hangar & the fact that, well...IMO, 2/4 just isn't low enough, I'll never do another. Not like I wasn't warned beforehand by the O.G. members here.
First thought when walking away & looking back is..."Damn. Close. But, no cigar. Needs Mo' LoW!"

The wedges you'll need are 2.5" wide & the fat end goes towards the front of the truck.
Use a couple of C-clamps to hold the springs in position so that the hole through the spring pack stays aligned. Just saves on the headaches.

The victim.
Don't be like me & turf those front hangars. Keep 'em! You'll need to re-install them when you go 4/6. Lol!

I guess it will be easy to install a wedge since I ordered belltech lowering leaf springs. So they'll already be out and accessible to install a wedge. Do you know where I can scoop up 2, 2.5 wedges as you've stated

I dont plan on lower. Im doing a 3/4 and its because the roads here in southern ontario are absolutely god awful and lower would mean breaking the truck into pieces as it rattled itself to dealth.

DanB

Reaction score
Thanks!

The victim.

I'm good with my 3/4 drop. Roads in my area are garbage. Can't go low because you'll break stuff and rattle it apart.

Do you have a link that I can purchase one of these wedges for. I'll have to modify the belltech lowering leaf springs i got with one of these wedges correct?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm good with my 3/4 drop. Roads in my area are garbage. Can't go low because you'll break stuff and rattle it apart.

Do you have a link that I can purchase one of these wedges for. I'll have to modify the belltech lowering leaf springs i got with one of these wedges correct?

Ahhh yes. Ontario roads. You have my sympathies! Lol!
Not trying to push or convince you on going lower, but most don't realize that Honda Civics have less ground clearance than my '98 dropped 4/7.
When lowering these trucks 4/6, it's not so much about ground clearances, but the distances between the tires & whatever's above them within the truck. 99% of which can be addressed fairly easily.

I got the wedges from a local parts supplier. Most suspension shops carry them too.
Or, if you don't mind waiting...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pinion-angle-shims

What's weird though, is that 4* or greater wedges come with the center bolts with the extended head, but not the 2* ones.
I tried to get away without extended head center bolts on the 2*'s. Didn't work. The factory ones were too short. One more reason why I've gotten proficient at taking all this apart!
IIRC, Summit does sell the E/H bolts separately.