The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanB

Reaction score
Ahhh yes. Ontario roads. You have my sympathies! Lol!
Not trying to push or convince you on going lower, but most don't realize that Honda Civics have less ground clearance than my '98 dropped 4/7.
When lowering these trucks 4/6, it's not so much about ground clearances, but the distances between the tires & whatever's above them within the truck. 99% of which can be addressed fairly easily.

I got the wedges from a local parts supplier. Most suspension shops carry them too.
Or, if you don't mind waiting...

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pinion-angle-shims

What's weird though, is that 4* or greater wedges come with the center bolts with the extended head, but not the 2* ones.
I tried to get away without extended head center bolts on the 2*'s. Didn't work. The factory ones were too short. One more reason why I've gotten proficient at taking all this apart!
IIRC, Summit does sell the E/H bolts separately.

So I should get the 4 degree, 2.5 inch wide ones? or will a 2 degree, 2.5 inch wide work fine...

According to belltech, when doing a 6" inch rear drop, a 4 degree shim is required. Im guessing I'll need a 2 or 2.5...

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Won't know which one is needed until the angles are figured.
Bolt the leafs in (Tight) & then set the springs on the diff & hold it together with the old U-bolts. They don't have to cranked right down tight. Snug's fine.
Need to have the box on, too.
Once the angles are measured, then lift the springs (truck!) off of the diff to install the wedges. ...if you need them!

Need one of these to find the angles. Should be able to find one local. Pic's just for reference. $10-$15?

You must be registered for see images attach

The pinion shouldn't have any more than a 2* negative angle (nose down) from the transmission.
Aim for between 1 and 3 degrees between the tailshaft of the transmission and driveshaft, and 1 to 3 degrees between the driveshaft and pinion.
The two angles should be nearly equal (between 1 and 3 degrees), but always opposite.
U-joints are designed to work between 1*-3* of angle. Anything more & they'll eat themselves up. Bad drivetrain vibrations too.

Jon K

Reaction score
got a 4/6 drop going on right now, is there a simple way to raise the rear up about an inch?

LUDLOW

Reaction score
Good afternoon fellas I am looking to lower my truck in the near future, I called a few shops and they seem to want an additional thousand on top of the price of the kit for instillation. is this a common estimate for this procedure?

I would much rather do it myself but I don't have access to a lift, perhaps a few of you have managed without one?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good afternoon fellas I am looking to lower my truck in the near future, I called a few shops and they seem to want an additional thousand on top of the price of the kit for instillation. is this a common estimate for this procedure?

I would much rather do it myself but I don't have access to a lift, perhaps a few of you have managed without one?
If your install involves a frame notch (and it absolutely should if it's more than 4" rear drop, and it's smart even with only a 4" rear drop if you ever wanna haul anything) - then that's a good bit of work. That's not something you want to cheap out on. However just because a shop wants to be paid appropriately does not mean they're going to do a good job, so check reputations closely.

You don't need a lift to do a drop install, not at all. You can do it yourself in your garage/driveway if you have a good jack, jack stands, and a halfway decent tool kit. Helps if you have a compressor for a cutoff wheel and drill if you're doing a frame notch. Notch goes WAY easier if you take the bed off. Some self-educating goes a long way before you ever disconnect a ball joint and let the front coil springs loose. :D

Richard

LUDLOW

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I’m planning on doing a 2-4 drop. Nothing too complicated. Any thoughts on the different kits out there? I’ve been eyeing Rough Country’s 2-4.

oh and a local shop carries the MaxTrac K330524-8 2-4 if those are any good?

Last edited:

LUDLOW

Reaction score
Heyyy another stupid question for you guys.. I'm nearly finished with my rear drop and I noticed the leaf spring pads have a decent sized gap between the springs and the axle.

I think I could get a little lower with less gap and a more concave spring pad? anyone got a good replacement?

vik209ca

Reaction score
Might be the place for this question as I'm sure it's been asked once or twice. I've got a 94 Chevy 1500 stepside. I purchased and installed the Belltech 5/7 drop kit (Part #: 689SP). The truck was a conversion truck and came with some wide wheels. Currently, have some 15" 5 spoke Mangels sitting on 275/60/15's all the way around. Couldn't tell you if they're 8,9, or even 10" wheels but they stick outside the wheel wells front and back. I like the sporty look of the 15's with some fat tires. So my question is whats the "ideal" wheel setup to run? I've read a few forums and posts about 5/7 drops, but they're all for fleetside. Not sure if wheel setups will be different between fleetside and stepside. Appreciate the help, I've already got lost on the interwebs searching.