The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not An SS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last place I found original roll-stock fabric was via the dealership. And that was more than a few years ago. Plus it was crazy expensive! IIRC $120.00/yd. plus tax! And that's cheap from GM compared to other fabrics that I've bought from them! And they require a minimum 1 yard purchase. Ouch! Don't know if they'll even have that listed anymore seeing the age that these trucks are getting up to, now.
That listing that east302 posted for the cushion foam is very nice & probably the best way to go. If the original has lasted at least 16 years from when the last models of GMT400's were made. $220.00 averaged over the next 16 is cheap! But I look at that & figure a decent auto upholstery shop that knows what they're doing could do a lot of foam repairs & still be under that price. Only thing, though. A repair is just that. A repair. A band-aid. It may or may not last as long as the original did. I wouldn't bet on it.
So...what it comes down to is...Do you figure on keeping the truck for 16 years+ to justify that $220.00? It's also personal preference. Does your pocket book feel that that $220.00 is reasonable? If not, is that repair of the existing foam for maybe $100.00-$150.00, which could last 1/2 as long, a better deal?
Don't quote me on that repair price, though. That's just an edumacated guess, based on what it would cost in my shop. I can't predict what some other shops would charge.
Im planning on doing some customizing, so keeping the truck long enough to meet the expense is not an issue. On the other hand, im not looking to sink 10K into the interior either. I have the 40/60 bench now. Would probably prefer a 1 piece bench, but not sure if older benches fit yet.
Sewlow, I like what you did with the seat that had the V8 on it, that was sweet. I am thinking if getting seats redone with stock replacements is somewhat similar to getting a 2 tone 2 color vinyl done, cost wise- whether its stock seat or earlier bench. My seat is pretty good shape foam wise, just thought it might be nice to freshen up the cushion a bit while im in there.
What about the cost of building new cushions from scratch? Is that something normally done when there are no aftermarket options? I think the OP was looking at 88-94 and the cushion that I posted was for the 95 and up...unless they were somehow interchangeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Big Ass Phone v4.0

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got back from a 1700mile road and my seat cushioning is non existent now. Looked online but can't find a cushion. I know nothing about upholstery. Apparently not even how to spell it thank God for smartphones. Anyone have any suggestions

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You can make your own foam for the seats. I can help you with that.
You'll need a couple of special tools. They're not real expensive. Most you might already have.
Need a compressor though. But even that could be worked around, if you don't.
A cheap-ass pot style spray gun. $20.00? Some glue. 'Automotive Trim Adhesive'. Smallest size is one gallon.
An electric carving knife. The one for cutting up a turkey. $20.00 for a new one? I get 'em at the Sally Ann. $5-6.00. I burn out a couple a year. Check to make sure both blades are moving. That's a broken part inside. Not worth fixin'.
A woodwork style bandsaw is the perfect tool for cutting foam. Especially larger pieces. But not everyone has one of those just hangin' around!
Some felt pens. A long straight edge. A drywall ruler with the end piece knocked off. Or a Carpenter's 'T'.
Some Burlap.
A bunch of 'Hog-Rings' & the H/R pliers.
A good pair of scissors. If they'll be used just for this, there'e some pretty good ones out there for cheap. I spend just under $100.00 for mine, but they'll last 5 years of almost daily use/abuse.

Look up 'Upholstery Supplies' near you. Some of the bigger specific wharehouse guys require tax numbers or a Biz reggie to get in. Some are store front retailers. Around here, there are places called something like 'The FoamShop'. If they don't have most of what you need, they'll be able to get it. (From the big wharehouse guys! Of course!) They should have things like the glue on the shelf. Figure on a 30-40% mark-up in the store fronts. If you find an auto upholstery shop near you, they might be persuaded in selling you some of this stuff. Either way, if that doesn't help, I could get you some of it. I just can't ship any glue. Besides the foam, you could have all the stuff you need to do this for $100.00 or so.

If your willing to go that far, I'll get on to the foam part.

Here's a couple of pix. 1st just shows the different densities & how the foam was shaped.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the pic in my avy. Seat out of a '56 Ford F100. It's the original one that used to look like it was out of a school bus. The foam work was done with an electric turkey knife.

Just got back from a 1700mile road and my seat cushioning is non existent now. Looked online but can't find a cushion. I know nothing about upholstery. Apparently not even how to spell it thank God for smartphones. Anyone have any suggestions

Do that^^

Or find someone who can.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, stupid question... why do people like switching for the Escalade/Denali cluster? From the pictures I see it doesn't really look any different, except maybe higher max on the speedo?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
except maybe higher max on the speedo?

You answered your own question. Higher speedometer reading and they're WAY cheaper and more plentiful than the 130MPH police clusters.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You answered your own question. Higher speedometer reading and they're WAY cheaper and more plentiful than the 130MPH police clusters.

Ok, Guess I don't see the appeal of just higher speedo.

Now if it were the newer Bvulgari type gauges that could be cool..

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
They also have a very different color. Didn't expect that when I installed mine.
Totally surprised when I first drove it at night. Almost rear-ended the car in front of me 'cause I was staring at it, thinking, "Whoa! Look at that! That's cool!"..."STOP!"

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
They also have a very different color. Didn't expect that when I installed mine.
Totally surprised when I first drove it at night. Almost rear-ended the car in front of me 'cause I was staring at it, thinking, "Whoa! Look at that! That's cool!"..."STOP!"

That's very cool. I can't stop staring at it myself haha. Is that cluster is a direct swap from the 100 MPH speedo?

Not An SS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Will that fit/work on my 91 Sierra 454? I like that night view!

Sent from my Big Ass Phone v4.0