The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Suburban...now its throwing a code for the fuel cut off circuit...what do I do?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
''T"ing in really isn't that hard,I did it on my 454 a few years ago.You'll have the added benefit of knowing your actual oil pressure.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whenever I run my Suburban the belt slowly walks about halfway off the idler pulley...what gives? Is there supposed to be dust shield like thing on the back? I have the one on the front but can't remember if there was one on the back or not

You have a belt alignment issue or a bad pulley/bearing.

Well I know that...idler pulley/bear is brand new. Has maybe 10 minutes of run time.

Not being a jerk here but you ask for help and neglect to mention new parts or what you do know about the problem. Then you say that you know that. How are we (the forum) able to help you if you know everything and keep us in the dark?

I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge on my Suburban...now its throwing a code for the fuel cut off circuit...what do I do?

You need to "T" in the old sending unit. Low oil pressure will kick out the fuel pump.

It runs fine I just want the CEL gone. I really have no desire to mess around with those pipes and crap. Much rather just jump the harness.

I know it right now! Its the sensor I don't feel like messing with!

You obviously know everything but yet you post asking for help.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because I don't want to follow your specific advice does not make me a know it all. Theres usually another way to do something. Such as the idler pulley...I'd still be messing around trying to get it to line up if I did things your way, instead I thought about it for a bit and just took it off. Good as new. As for the oil gauge I'm a bigger guy (6' 5" 400lbs if anyones wondering) and its a real b*tch to get up there and mess around at the actual back of the engine so I'm hoping someone had just jumped the harness or created some sort of a bypass for it.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Just because I don't want to follow your specific advice does not make me a know it all. Theres usually another way to do something. Such as the idler pulley...I'd still be messing around trying to get it to line up if I did things your way, instead I thought about it for a bit and just took it off. Good as new. As for the oil gauge I'm a bigger guy (6' 5" 400lbs if anyones wondering) and its a real b*tch to get up there and mess around at the actual back of the engine so I'm hoping someone had just jumped the harness or created some sort of a bypass for it.

Sounds like you're just trying to be lazy.

Laziness doesn't get things fixed correctly.

If you want advice on how to cobble your truck together. I'd suggest another forum.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 350 rebuilt, put it in the truck, filled the fluids, and went to start it. As soon as the oil pump spun it started pouring oil out of the back of the engine. (It would probably pump out all 5 qts in about a minute of cranking.) Since then I've replaced the oil pan gasket, the rear main seal, the rear main seal gasket (of course), and the rear main seal housing. Planning on replacing the pan itself next. I hate just throwing parts at it, but it's hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Anyone had a problem like this before?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 350 rebuilt, put it in the truck, filled the fluids, and went to start it. As soon as the oil pump spun it started pouring oil out of the back of the engine. (It would probably pump out all 5 qts in about a minute of cranking.) Since then I've replaced the oil pan gasket, the rear main seal, the rear main seal gasket (of course), and the rear main seal housing. Planning on replacing the pan itself next. I hate just throwing parts at it, but it's hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Anyone had a problem like this before?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Did someone put the galley plugs back in? You can spin the oil pump with the engine on a stand and you'll find your leak.