The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearsthetruck

Reaction score
Question guys, Today I was driving and my speedometer and tachometer were going haywire. Then my check engine light began to flash. Now when I attempted to accelerate the light flashed on my truck bogged a bit and then downshift. Any idea what this could be?
It just started today and did it 3 times.

93 C1500 ecsb

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard would it be to drop a 70-80s 383 into a 96 and keep the vortec injection ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you have to put the Vortec heads and intake on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would i just use the factory vortec head gaskets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dmgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1993 gmc with a 350 tbi. It always has the oil pressure at around 12 when it is idling and the oil pressure will drop to almost nothing when going up a steep hill slowly. Is there something that I can do to if this?

Dewster

Reaction score
Quick question.....

I noticed that the aluminum tube that goes from the air intake to the bottom of the engine is missing from my 90 Sierra. Also found that the spring that controls the flap where the tube connects to the air intake is missing, so the flap just stays open all the time. What is that flap/tube combination supposed to do, and would it be better to replace the tube and spring or just plug the hole in the air intake?
You must be registered for see images attach

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I guess it is supposed to heat up the tbi until the flap opens up to bring in cold air. I ran mine without it for a long time and the only difference that I have noticed it it bogs less when the engine is cold

Sent from my awesome S5

Neb15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just the other day, I was looking at that metal pipe that was falling off trying to figure out why it even exists! Didnt know there was meant to be a valve inside... whatever time for an open element anyway.

My question is in regards to trying to stop the oil leaks
You must be registered for see images attach

what is this part and how easy is it to change? I know the other two are for the cooler so I assume this goes to the motor

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an oil pressure sensor. Should just unscrew from the elbow. You may want to unscrew the elbow from the oil filter mount and reseal the threads with some thread sealant, while you're there.