The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will these tall valve covers work on a 91 350 tbi? Not sure if short vs tall make a difference?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will these tall valve covers work on a 91 350 tbi? Not sure if short vs tall make a difference?
They should fit. The only time you may need tall valve covers is when you're running aftermarket heads with taller studs and rocker arms, like full rollers. Stock covers will work too, sometimes you may need to bend the baffles a little to make room :waytogo:

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They should fit. The only time you may need tall valve covers is when you're running aftermarket heads with taller studs and rocker arms, like full rollers. Stock covers will work too, sometimes you may need to bend the baffles a little to make room :waytogo:
Was thinking about the summit aluminum heads/ roller set up down the road...thanks!

carnerd3000

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums, glad to be here! I own a '99 Suburban K1500 with the 5.7, and I had a quick question about the timing cover and oil pan: I changed the oil pan gasket a couple of months ago with a Fel-Pro set, but then today I found another leak that might be where the timing chain cover is; just need to get a closer look, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. If I have to replace the timing cover and the seal, will I have to replace the oil pan gasket again, even if it's new?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the one-piece rubber gasket, you can likely reuse it with a new application of RTV in the corners. Make sure and reuse the spreader plates on the pan sides.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before...but what's the consensus of opinion on the best scanner app for Android? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (that I don't use much since I got a smartphone) and would like to use this to figure out some of the stuff that my Burb does.
99 C1500,L31 Vortec 5.7....and who has the best adapter/cable?
Thanks in advance, HWB

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Torque on my Samsung with a BAFX code reader. It doesn't do everything the expensive code readers do, but it was $25 and I haven't run into a vehicle yet that it couldn't handle.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I use Torque on my Samsung with a BAFX code reader. It doesn't do everything the expensive code readers do, but it was $25 and I haven't run into a vehicle yet that it couldn't handle.
So it works well for a TBI truck, how does it do with a Vortec? Anyone who has used this app or another one on the later engine/trucks?
Thanks Erik!

carnerd3000

Reaction score
If you have the one-piece rubber gasket, you can likely reuse it with a new application of RTV in the corners. Make sure and reuse the spreader plates on the pan sides.
Sounds good, and just so I know, what happens if I don't use RTV? Does the oil pan gasket get soiled from the timing cover leak, or something like that?