The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it works well for a TBI truck, how does it do with a Vortec? Anyone who has used this app or another one on the later engine/trucks?
Thanks Erik!
No, there's no OBDII connector on TBI trucks. Also, my TBI is long gone.

Sounds good, and just so I know, what happens if I don't use RTV? Does the oil pan gasket get soiled from the timing cover leak, or something like that?
Your engine seeps oil from the corners. As Fred Flintstone says, a little dab'll do ya. Just a pea-sized spot in each of the four sharp corners.

urimind

Reaction score
Hi out there...Im new here. Anyone know what this is that is cut?? I just got a new (old ass) truck, one to cut my teeth on as i learn more about fixing cars. I dont know hardly anything yet. The truck is a 1989 GMC Sierra. The other end of the wire that is cut/broken is in the second picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Broken Cable

other side of broken cable/ what it is connecting to

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a double row radiator in my 1998 K1500 and it takes a while to heat up on cold mornings. Had the lower manifold gaskets replaced recently and the heater hose connector is leaking again at threads and I'm going to take it out and clean and seal it. I figured I'd put a 170* thermostat in it while I have the coolant drawn down. Is that a good idea or should I just put a single row rad. back in the truck?

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi out there...Im new here. Anyone know what this is that is cut?? I just got a new (old ass) truck, one to cut my teeth on as i learn more about fixing cars. I dont know hardly anything yet. The truck is a 1989 GMC Sierra. The other end of the wire that is cut/broken is in the second picture.

Broken Cable

other side of broken cable/ what it is connecting to
I believe thats the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) solenoid. In any case it's a vacuum leak (which'll affect driveability somewhat) so you can repair it by either replacing the formed vacuum line or splicing it with a piece of vacuum hose.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a double row radiator in my 1998 K1500 and it takes a while to heat up on cold mornings. Had the lower manifold gaskets replaced recently and the heater hose connector is leaking again at threads and I'm going to take it out and clean and seal it. I figured I'd put a 170* thermostat in it while I have the coolant drawn down. Is that a good idea or should I just put a single row rad. back in the truck?
The thermostat selection will affect heater operation for sure. That 170 degree thermostat seems a little low to me. I'd go with a 190 degree to help with not only the heater operation but engine wear as well. In the mid to late 80's auto manufacturers found that keeping engines at 190-210 range significantly increased the life of cylinder walls particularly on the corner cylinders.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A single row is gonna cool better than a double row, so if it's taking longer with the double row that's not the issue. The thermostat is way too cold, 190 is what you'd want. That 170 is probably gonna cost you a noticeable amount in efficiency.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a question now, where's the fuel filter located on these trucks? Is it just on the frame rail somewhere between the tank and engine? TBI blazer if it matters.

Blaine Mann

Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy c1500. It happens sparingly but some days my truck just won’t start. Battery, Alt and Starter have been tested over and over and checked good every time. If I let the truck sit after a failed start for a few hours it’ll magically work fine again for a few months. Anyone else ever have a problem like this?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Chevy c1500. It happens sparingly but some days my truck just won’t start. Battery, Alt and Starter have been tested over and over and checked good every time. If I let the truck sit after a failed start for a few hours it’ll magically work fine again for a few months. Anyone else ever have a problem like this?
more info will help with diagnosis.

what engine/trans, how many miles etc.
what have you tested/replaced when it won't start, fuel presure? spark?
any codes?
any similairites when it won't start? does it crank over and not start?

ya, i had a 69 mustang with a 302, back in the day, that would do that, figured it was a FORD thing, so went to GM :)