The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also what starter do I put in? I thought oem or whatever rockauto sells.. but this document list 2 other starters in not familiar with.
It says your engine comes with a 12-3/4" flex plate so you want a starter for 12-3/4". Everyone likes the PMGR starter better than the big direct drive one but, I don't see a PMGR for a 12-3/4" listed? Plus you need the corresponding starter mounting bolts.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI i have a question for you, if i were to run an adjustable FPR in my feed line, would i still need to run the return line from the new adj regulator or will the one from tbi to tank work?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It says your engine comes with a 12-3/4" flex plate so you want a starter for 12-3/4". Everyone likes the PMGR starter better than the big direct drive one but, I don't see a PMGR for a 12-3/4" listed? Plus you need the corresponding starter mounting bolts.

The 12-3/4 starter they have listed looks different then the big fat one from oem. Lol. Same type though?!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i were to run an adjustable FPR in my feed line, would i still need to run the return line from the new adj regulator or will the one from tbi to tank work?
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish but, you don't want the fuel pump to dead head or build too much pressure. If you don't have a bypass on your new AFPR the pump will, in essence, partially dead head, especially a higher volume and pressure pump. You can plug off the return line in the TB and use it on your aftermarket regulator but, why not just convert yours with something like this? All you need is the adapter, pressure gauge, and adjustable regulator.
http://www.rvmorsemachine.com/product.htm

You just need to drill a hole through the plate for the screw and bend the MAP sensor vacuum tube down a little. The fuel lines hook up fine too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what it looks like installed. This is when I had a 28LB spring from a 94 - 95 7.4L TB, set at 28PSI LOL.
You must be registered for see images attach

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Man, whenever I see pictures of clean engines like yours Peter I kinda feel bad for my oil and dust covered engines. I have a can of engine degreaser, I could probably get a pressure washer working but I'm so worried I would fu-ck something up!

I know it shouldnt but I cant bring myself to spray water under the hood!

that's a damn sweet set up ya got there!

Al

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Peter,

I was going to do a 15-60psi Holley 12-886 mounted on my firewall with a return from it to the tank, and a 6AN T fitting running the return line from the TBI to the return line from the regulator. I am planning an LS swap at some point so the Holley setup will work for what I hope to achieve with the LS(turbo build). But for now the truck needs to run correctly with the TBI as the LS motor swap is far off(1yr).

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to do a 15-60psi Holley 12-886 mounted on my firewall with a return from it to the tank, and a 6AN T fitting running the return line from the TBI to the return line from the regulator.
Yeah, it looks like that AFPR has a bypass port on it so, I'd think it would work. You may have to play with what pressure setting you need to ensure the TB doesn't get starved when it gets a hard tip in. YMMV

Reaction score
Not sure where this should be so here goes.. Im thinking about putting a small block 400 in place if my tbi 350. I saw where one of you guys had done it some time back. Would this swap work out ok with the tbi or should i switch to carb? 700r4 gonna hold up to reasonable driving?