The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same on mine. But I don't know if it's for a battery or a tool box as I have neither. Brilliant tool tray though when I'm working on it.

If it's just the tray then its for a battery. Why gm did that idk. You would think they would do a cover or tool box if the truck wasnt equipped with 2 batteries lol

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trucks I believe. That's why I'm wondering for suburban or Tahoe's why didnt they have the option. Unless they did and my dad never paid attention lol

Maybe the trucks got them as secure (lockable) storage with a small cab.
We longroofers have to watch what and how we carry it. In a bump, things go flying. When I T-boned an Audi A6 with a Nissan hatchback I had red fluid dripping off the inside of the windscreen - but no cuts. Took a moment to realise it was from the drums of ATF in the boot (trunk).

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Maybe the trucks got them as secure (lockable) storage with a small cab.
We longroofers have to watch what and how we carry it. In a bump, things go flying. When I T-boned an Audi A6 with a Nissan hatchback I had red fluid dripping off the inside of the windscreen - but no cuts. Took a moment to realise it was from the drums of ATF in the boot (trunk).
The underhood storage boxes were optional through 97 from what I've read here. Mainly seen on pickups, but since the front ends are all the same, they can be installed on a Burb/Tahoe/Yukon etc. Just need the brackets, which are supplied with the box by most of the resellers on here.
The location for the battery tray(s) is molded into the plastic inner fender panel. Driver's side tray goes where the box would be if you had one. Obviously diesel trucks wouldn't have a box there since the second battery is there.