The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly, I was looking at a 40L80E. For the GM 383, are you looking at the HT383E? That's not a bad option with a slightly beefed up 4L60E and with a rebuilt trans may be OK as long as you aren't going hog wild with it. My trans was just rebuilt a month ago so it might have a fighting chance... Hmmm, you've got me thinking now.

Yes that's the motor. 3 yr warranty so gm backs it up. Also if I really really wanted to I would put a 4l80e and all the extra crap, but for me personally the 4l60e been good. I do have a heavy foot but it's for going on ramps and stoplights lol. Other then that I rarely tow or go offroad. (2wd) so it's not a must. The engine however I like the power output and mild changes like a tune. I'm not drag racing this baby. Just want something beefier and reliable. Oh and price if the motor kills it though. I dont mind throwing money at the suburban but 6g is a hell of a lot. This is my forever vehicle though and part of my family so money not the issue it's just I got Bill's lol.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work in TX and my legal address is there, but the car is residing in CA. So TX would be an option if it weren't for the fact that I have to get it smog'd in TX (my county at least). I'm not driving it from one residence to another just to smog it lol

I hear you. I got 3 more years for emissions then I can get lazy lol. I do want this truck to be like how it was factory though. Meaning emissions and safety compliant. Like abs and airbags. So many times I wanted to put in the storage shelf

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you. I got 3 more years for emissions then I can get lazy lol. I do want this truck to be like how it was factory though. Meaning emissions and safety compliant. Like abs and airbags. So many times I wanted to put in the storage shelf
So, I think I'm in the same situation with my 1999. In theory, in three years I can register this vehicle in TX without a smog and without any physical inspection of the truck. Right?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I think I'm in the same situation with my 1999. In theory, in three years I can register this vehicle in TX without a smog and without any physical inspection of the truck. Right?

To my knowledge. Soon as it hits 25 years old. Your vehicle no longer needs to be emissions compliant. Check engine light and miscellaneous things with the exhaust will no longer affect passing or not. They will do a safety inspection. I believe it's a lot cheaper like $10. And all they would check his tires lights wipers belts brakes and signals