The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why wont my damn truck idle under 1500 rpm? I am thinking a leak in the throttle body gasket am I on the right track? From what my buddy told me the truck doesn't really have any balls either. " I am in Iraq so I don't know" it is a 5.7 in a 94 silverado 4x4 with a 14 bolt rear. other than that everything else is stock mechanically.
Yeah I would start with any vacuum leak. tighten up the throttle body bolts, look for bad vacuum lines, bad iac, brake booster grommet dryrotted, etc. Bone stock it is weak anyway. High idle is usually vacuum leak somewhere.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, a 383 is a 350 block bored 0.030" over, with a 400 Cu in. stroke crank (3.75" as apposed to 3.48") The block has to be clearanced for the stroke of the crank. A little bit of machine work and you're good to go.
I would like to add to this. If you are planning on doing this, you may want to look at other variables that my be an issue with your build. If you are doing a big build for a lot more torque - the transmission, gear ratio, and cam selection should match what you are doing. The 700r4/4l60 is kind of weak. If you are building for horsepower, other problems can arise on top of the previously mentioned items. Things such as, piston speed, fuel availability, rod length to piston height ratio, etc. But technically suburban5 is correct, if the only thing you are going to change is the displacement, the 350 can be a 383.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to add to this. If you are planning on doing this, you may want to look at other variables that my be an issue with your build. If you are doing a big build for a lot more torque - the transmission, gear ratio, and cam selection should match what you are doing. The 700r4/4l60 is kind of weak. If you are building for horsepower, other problems can arise on top of the previously mentioned items. Things such as, piston speed, fuel availability, rod length to piston height ratio, etc. But technically suburban5 is correct, if the only thing you are going to change is the displacement, the 350 can be a 383.

I'm just curious and looking at my options. Would would you think cheaper building my old vortec block to a 383 or just buying a gm crate 383?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 95% of people I would say "buy a crate motor". You can build it yourself cheaper, but make one mistake and you're back inside it, and that second set of head gaskets just put you even with a crate motor. The upside of building yourself if that you can spread out your parts purchase over a few months so your wife doesn't notice. If your motor is already down, crate motor all the way.