The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see a spot for it on the compressor.

Ahh, that would make sense. The gauges (mostly not working) are a whole other story I'll get in to elsewhere, but the temp sensor you mentioned is hooked up to an aftermarket gauge in the cab and the cluster temp gauges is not working. I will have to get a correct replacement sensor and see if I can get the gauge in the cluster to register, but I'm afraid the cluster is having bigger issues.

Just want to confirm that it was I feed the temp sensor wire for the gauge.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey I got a wiring question for the 4 corner light mod...
I wired black with black and brown with brown and I tapped off the lower corner lights. Is that correct??

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I hear a ticking noise under the valve cover That's most likely a adjustment needed right? It sounds like cylinder 2 or 4

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I hear a ticking noise under the valve cover That's most likely a adjustment needed right?
It could be an adjustment or a collapsed lifter. I had one that wound up wearing down about 5/32" from hammering against the cam lobe. Luckily it didn't wear down the cam,:waytogo: I ordered another lifter and everything is back to normal, I hope.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be an adjustment or a collapsed lifter. I had one that wound up wearing down about 5/32" from hammering against the cam lobe. Luckily it didn't wear down the cam,:waytogo: I ordered another lifter and everything is back to normal, I hope.

I have hydraulic roller rockers. How would I know if its collapse or just needs to be tightened? Kinda has a rattling sound. Also feel like I can hear the piston faintly

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would I know if its collapse or just needs to be tightened?
Pull the valve cover and look to see if the rocker arm nut has backed off any by comparing it to the adjacent corresponding valve. I had poly locks on mine so it was easy to tell it hadn't backed out any. Then I pulled the neighboring rocker and put a dial indicator on both to see if the cam was worn down any. They both moved the same within a couple thousands. We adjusted it down and set it like a solid lifter cam and ordered a couple new lifters. After pulling the intake manifold, we pulled the lifter out and it was stuck collapsed and worn down. Now your roller cam lifter hopefully may not be worn down but it still can get some grit stuck in it to keep it from pumping up.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the valve cover and look to see if the rocker arm nut has backed off any by comparing it to the adjacent corresponding valve. I had poly locks on mine so it was easy to tell it hadn't backed out any. Then I pulled the neighboring rocker and put a dial indicator on both to see if the cam was worn down any. They both moved the same within a couple thousands. We adjusted it down and set it like a solid lifter cam and ordered a couple new lifters. After pulling the intake manifold, we pulled the lifter out and it was stuck collapsed and worn down. Now your roller cam lifter hopefully may not be worn down but it still can get some grit stuck in it to keep it from pumping up.

I'll try to do that this afternoon. I'll post some pics so you see what I'm working with. Do i loosen the Allen head first then the nut? Also should the lifter be all the way up? Sorry first time I'm trying this by myself

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do i loosen the Allen head first then the nut?
If you have poly locks you can or just loosen the nut.

Also should the lifter be all the way up?
Yes, do that 1st so you can see which one is loose and when setting valve lash. You still want to find the one(s) that is/are the culprit(s). It may or may not be obvious just looking at them.