The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
follow up question,

when replacing the radio, ive seen the storage cup insert that replaces the dash controls, but does anyone make a flat blank filler? i would rather mount some USB ports or something.
Cunningham machine maybe? I thought there was somebody in the forum making some, or at least prototyping. The pull straps and covers too maybe.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94 k1500, I installed an Autometer trans temp gauge a while back and it seemed to work good for a while. Put a bung in the trans pan. Now at night, when I turn up the panel guage lights (with wheel) the needle also rises. The power wire is simesed with the wire going into the plug labled as "Red" under the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel. Is there a decent place to plug the guage in that will respond to the dimming of instrument lights on the dash without affecting the guage? As I want to add guages, such as a clock, is there a place to plug in an auxilory electrical panel.

drag sgt

Reaction score
Does anybody know what this wire is? I found it mostly frayed apart but haven't noticed anything not functioning (so its likely something that hasn't been working since I purchased it a few years ago). Location is on the passenger fender near the firewall and coolant tank. It appears to be a single, large wire but I didn't want to go poking around.

You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what this wire is? I found it mostly frayed apart but haven't noticed anything not functioning (so its likely something that hasn't been working since I purchased it a few years ago). Location is on the passenger fender near the firewall and coolant tank. It appears to be a single, large wire but I didn't want to go poking around.

That be the FM radio antenna wire. Some frayed outer wires won’t show much if any difference.

drag sgt

Reaction score
That be the FM radio antenna wire. Some frayed outer wires won’t show much if any difference.

That explains it. Most radio stations immediately around us are fuzzy anyways so some extra signal loss wouldn't have been noticed by us. I guess I'll take a closer look tonight and see how extensive the damage is. Looking at online diagrams, maybe it's the outer shield I mistook for destroyed wiring, but it looked pretty crushed. Maybe I can find a replacement on Crutchfield.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That explains it. Most radio stations immediately around us are fuzzy anyways so some extra signal loss wouldn't have been noticed by us. I guess I'll take a closer look tonight and see how extensive the damage is. Looking at online diagrams, maybe it's the outer shield I mistook for destroyed wiring, but it looked pretty crushed. Maybe I can find a replacement on Crutchfield.
that’s a male and female connector in that larger rubber section.

If I’m looking at your picture the right way round, The damaged side runs into the cab, via about a 1” grommet that’s molded onto the wire, behind the glove box and over to the radio. With it just being the braided shielding, I’d wrap some 3m tape around it and leave it.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1990 C1500. Today I left the house and witnessed my odometer turning BACKWARDS while driving. What the heck? It must have been happening for a bit before I saw it, because I lost 1200 or so miles since getting home yesterday! What causes this and how can I fix it? Sometimes my oil pressure gauge bounces around at cruise, too. Possible bad connection causing both issues? The odometer seems to be driven by an electric motor..........