The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90droptop

Reaction score
best way to know is 6 lug is always 8.25 and 8 lug is 9.25

Gotcha I found the tag on the axle itself but it was to degraded to read. 8 lugs
At all 4 corners here. Now I can order my gears knowing what I have in the front.

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have the measurements for WMS-WMS on a 10-bolt 8.5 6lug 4x4 rear axle for our trucks?

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im New to GMT400, so i decided to search through the stickies to best answer my stupid questions(s)!

I have a 1993 K1500 Silverado, It has the 5.7 Tbi (non-vortec) with 30k miles, 4l60E Transmission w/ 32k Miles, It also has a tire size of 35x12.50xR15 (315/70/15), with a 6" lift suspension kit, and a 3" Body lift.

I haven't been able to identify the rear axle specific information.. such as if it is a 10 Bolt 8.5" rear or 8.25" front?

Im looking to change out my factory gearing which i believe is 3.73's, i well check RPO code when i get home, im thinking of changing to 4.10's for getting more of my mechanical leverage back (power) or possibly 4.56's. (even more power/sacrific fuel econ)

To do this i need to know the specs on the rear and front axle as they will be matched gears and most likely installed by myself or with a help of an extra set of hands.
I've done wheel cylinders and shafts bearings and all however i've never attempted to swap out gears diff pinion&yoke..
If anyone experienced in this field please feel free to chime in i'd love to hear your experience comments and suggestions whether to get it done professionally or if its something i can do in the drive way on a weekend with some specified tools.

Right now my truck does ok on fuel economy.. but it takes alot of throttle to move from stop not to mention on highway driving my 65mph-70mph rpm speed is roughly 2800-3300 and i was raised to not use over drive unless going on distant drives or up hill, This is something my father told me in my iroc camaro and im unsure if it applies to my K15 please clarify this if anyone can tell me the pros vs cons in using overdrive whenever i get on the free way i dont know if it will harm the transmission (or vehicle) but certainly don't want to be messing it up by not driving it right!!!

Lastly, My odo reads 226,*** as the original owner had it lifted and on the same size tires but he always kept his gearing the same, would this be reasoning as to why my tenth mile marker on odo flys like a jet on freeway and rolls fast on city? Also is it why my MPH readout is incorrect? im about 4 mph off on the readout and want to fix this but am unsure if it is just the gearing or if anything else might need to be worked on to functionally read out my actual mph/mileage driven.

These are some Stupido questions but i would appreciate any and all responses to my questions!

Thanks in Advance,

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
hwo can one tell if something has posi without pulling the cover and lookng at rpo codes and how can one tell if its any good with a non running vehicle?

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Building an axle isn't very hard it's the tools that get expensive. Lots of threads and books on the topic. Speedo is electronic on the new vehicles can be adjusted via computers.

To tell if locker pop the cover takes 1 minute and should be done on an axle you are going to buy anyway

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
hwo can one tell if something has posi without pulling the cover and lookng at rpo codes and how can one tell if its any good with a non running vehicle?

G80 = factory limited slip

i was raised to not use over drive unless going on distant drives or up hill

This is... well I'll be nice... its dated. Put the car in overdrive, the computer will do the rest.