The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You'll need to have matching axle ratios front to back if you want to use 4x4 (you can match whatever way you wanna). Posi means that you're rear end is 2wd instead of leaving a 1 wheel peel.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
OK my stupid question I have a 1994 GMC Sierra K1500 with a busted up 3.73 rear ratio. I have a 3.42 posi rear that I put in it temporarily and was wondering if I could leave the 3.42 in it or do I need to get my 3.73 fixed back up and back under her? Also what is the plus side of having a posi rear end in a 4x4 truck? I want to put a 3-6" lift on this truck. Anything I should consider before putting a lift on it?

you can put the 3:42 in temporarily, remove the 4x4 fuse so it does not accidentally get engaged and cause breakage from the two different ratios, your speedo will be off.

as far as a posi, it is a traction aid and helps quite a lot in low traction situations, do not use a 10 bolt gm posi(g80 eaton unit) as those all grenade, you would be far better off upgrading to the 9.5 rear and either using the g80 there or better yet using a auburn or detroit in the rear

tulsa4x4

Reaction score
I have the 3.42 with the posi they call a mini spool posi limited slip. How do I know what the front end ratio is. I have been told by a couple of people around the Oklahoma area that I dont need to change anything because it has the STD Ratio in the front which adjust to whatever the rear has. I dont know how that would be possible but I just dont want to break anything. I bought the truck a couple weeks ago and it had a busted rearend and I was thinking that it could have been caused by ratio differences or something.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
I have been told by a couple of people around the Oklahoma area that I dont need to change anything because it has the STD Ratio in the front which adjust to whatever the rear has.
Don't EVER take advice form anyone who said that. Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I'd expect mismatched ratios to blow the transfer case, not the axle, but you can find out the ratio by either counting the ring and pinion tooth count, (divide the ring by the pinion) or look at the stamping on the ring gear. Without opening up the cases, its impossible to tell for sure.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I have the 3.42 with the posi they call a mini spool posi limited slip. How do I know what the front end ratio is. I have been told by a couple of people around the Oklahoma area that I dont need to change anything because it has the STD Ratio in the front which adjust to whatever the rear has. I dont know how that would be possible but I just dont want to break anything. I bought the truck a couple weeks ago and it had a busted rearend and I was thinking that it could have been caused by ratio differences or something.

Holy sh*t. Go neuter them to make sure they don't procreate.

tulsa4x4

Reaction score
Holy sh*t. Go neuter them to make sure they don't procreate.
So I have been trying to find out where to get front gears for my truck and can not find them. I have the independent front suspension. I dont have the solid front even though thats what I would prefer to have but dont have the know how to switch it over. So where does one find gears for the front axle on a 1994 k1500?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Anywhere that sells rear gears should sell the gears for the front. They aren't very different at all.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
So I have been trying to find out where to get front gears for my truck and can not find them. I have the independent front suspension. I dont have the solid front even though thats what I would prefer to have but dont have the know how to switch it over. So where does one find gears for the front axle on a 1994 k1500?

You could always swap in a solid front axle... Its a lot of work and not cheap, but freckin bad ass.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay guys so i have a stupid Q. I want to change out the ratios of the front and back. What ratio is the lowest i can go before i lose all my torque and which gives me best gas milage. I want to do a 2.72 or if possible a 2.42 in the rear and in the front. just for milage. I know it will help alot and ill need to get it tuned so my speedo is on again. but i think ill get good milage from it. Or I will just do a SUPER low rear end and just keep it in 2wd.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything below 3.42 seems ridiculous to me IMNSHO. Buy a Prius or 4-cyl Tacoma. Just being realistic. You're not going to get mega-good mileage out of your truck short of a 4BT swap - which seems somewhat of wasted time/money effort to me to begin with over buying a purpose-built vehicle. Doing what you suggest will likely make your truck nearly unbearable to drive. You'd likely have to tool around in 1st through 3rd pretty much all the time. Just sayin...

The first part of your post says you want to do a HIGH geared rear (numerically low). Then, the second part of your post says you want to do a LOW rear (numerically high). I don't get it.