The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got to thinking, if I can't find a decent CCSB frame maybe I'll just modify a good CCLB frame, those aren't all that hard to come by. Then I got to thinking, I already have one under my dually. Since I love doing stuff the hard way, maybe the correct answer here is a C&C frame swap for the dually and then give the dually frame to this truck. That is, if I can find the time for such an ambitious project. And the money for a flat bed on the dually. I'm not sure where to hunt for a C&C frame though.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you really want to get creative you could put the long box from the dually on the plow truck and put the short box on the C&C frame and swap the dually fender flares onto the short box! CCSB Dually C&C!!! lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brought this unit home today to work on it over the weekend. I started by swapping in the 1 piece 1 color filler panel and free not totally busted up grille with all the chrome still sticking to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pics really don't do this justice. I ended up having to drill out and epoxy one of the anchors in the headlight so it would stay put. The up/down adjuster bushing dealie is MIA, so will need to come up with something there to keep the current lights. They're in good shape otherwise so I would like to. Next up I changed out a tie rod end that slipped past me when I swapped the knuckle.

I also decided to change out the insulator thing on the evaporator canister for the AC as I had an extra one kicking around. The one on this truck was zip tied on and looking pretty hammered. In order to do so, I needed to get the "CAI" out of the way. A closer look at the resonator delete revealed some issues.

Yep, those are MAF leaks. Likely part of the cause of the hard starts. I'll need to drive it more to verify but it seems better since I reinstalled it higher so it gets a less bad seal. A junkyard trip is going to happen sooner than later so I can get an airbox and hopefully a stock resonator for it. Another observation I made.

I think I found a use for those steel spacers my friend gave me. She's a fat lady on ice skates out back. The list is more than I can do this weekend, so I'll have more updates tomorrow I'm sure. I may keep this here next week too, weather looks decent so I can just drive the Z06 to work while I chip away on this mess.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeaterday I fired up the pressure washer and blew a bunch of crud out of the engine bay and off the frame in an effort to make this truck look less its age. Then I tore into the passenger front door to change out the lock tumbler. Then I tore right back into it to hook up the linkage I didn't. This doing things twice is getting old, but I did get the passenger door back together. It needed a bunch of fasteners, whoever had it apart last didn't use the right ones and I bled my stock dry. Next I went for the driver's interior door handle. Turns out I did over center that ****** sucker, so it was somehow stroking on the wrong side engaging exactly nothing. It works now, but I need to get more fasteners to reinstall the inner panel. Speaking of panels, I ended up soaking them in laundry detergent and water then pressure washing the nastiness off of them as well as shampooing the seats. I think I'll go for the head liner today.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped, but progress is progress. Both doors are fully reassembled and mostly functioning. Both have rot so will need to get replaced at some point. Passenger side needs a lock actuator and a window switch. Driver's side panel is pretty hammered and missing the tweeter grille. Both are an order of magnitude cleaner than they were and now secured with the correct fasteners. While picking up said fasteners at Napa I forgot to grab a bottle of Rust Mort for the floor boards so I ended up ordering some from the O'Reilly's that's way closer to my house, should be here tomorrow. I want to get that dealt with and find/fix whatever leak there is so it doesn't come back. Then I can reinstall the carpet and seats.

One problem that bit me in the ass was the new ignition. The VATS doesn't like it. Lame! @skylark check this pic, is that lump a resistor or something else?

Whatever it is is factory. I would have thought a relearn would have worked with the new ignition the same as it would a resistor? Any reason that didn't work?

My PRNDL LEDs are being wonky, so I swapped a new circuit card into the cluster and nothing changed so I'll have to figure that out. Another thing is the thing that the ignition tumbler fits into is sloppy and there really don't seem to be any tangible detents to the thing. I'm not sure what to make of that.

The headlight switch was disgusting so I changed that out too, had one on the shelf that wasn't all nasty. Took the original apart though and got the knob off. It's otherwise a good switch, so back on the shelf it went. I had to Dremel the thing down to the point I could figure out what to pole to release the knob. I knew if I just yanked on it I'd break it because I've already done that once. Another thing I was missing was a radio. I saw aftermarket speakers in the front doors and there was an empty Metra single DIN in the dash. I popped my original head unit from my 1500 in with its aux input that I'd added eons ago and I have tunes. So much better than driving along listening to the wind. Interestingly enough, I found this little guy in the bay for the head unit.

I charged it up and it works. Another treasure I unearthed was found in the dash below the steering column.

I'm not sure about you guys, but if I dumped a load of keys down the dash like that I think I'd want to get them back. I believe I mentioned the mirrors, one was busted and the other had a runny respray.

Busted one is in the garbage, the other on the shelf. The truck now wears both from my 1500. 2 of the fasteners on the driver's mirror had seized the nuts to the studs and I ended up cutting them out today to be able to zap the second mirror in.

So my next thing is I really want to get that new ignition in the truck for good. That'll either involve the resistor mod to the truck or a 411 swap since I have one on the shelf? Or just flash this PCM since I can as it's a 99. Also on the short list is faking the alignment so it doesn't pull so hard to the right while I wait for the frame fixing/replacing plan to unfold. And hitting the pull and pay for a grip of crap to make this truck less of a pile.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Played with the floorpan a bit today. Here it was when I first pulled the carpet back.

Here it is after knocking off the scale and hitting it with the knotted cup brush on the angle grinder.

And here it is today after 2 rounds of naval jelly just before the rust converter went down.

I'd feel a lot better if it hadn't rotted through right in the middle. That's where it'll start again for sure, but for now I need to get this thing back together so I'll prime and paint this tomorrow. The rust converter needs to sit 24 hours first.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Played with the floorpan a bit today. Here it was when I first pulled the carpet back.

Here it is after knocking off the scale and hitting it with the knotted cup brush on the angle grinder.

And here it is today after 2 rounds of naval jelly just before the rust converter went down.

I'd feel a lot better if it hadn't rotted through right in the middle. That's where it'll start again for sure, but for now I need to get this thing back together so I'll prime and paint this tomorrow. The rust converter needs to sit 24 hours first.
what are you using for rust converter?